Linkert carb flange gasket

Linkert related issues
Gearbox

Linkert carb flange gasket

Post by Gearbox »

Which set-up is best, the isolator type or plate with gaskets on both sides, I intake tested mine at 15psi everything appears tight around Orings and clamps, just leaked at my make shift plexi-glass plate. Engine has a severe miss off idle, and I need to rig up a throttle return spring, push type and hand shift a little scary, any suggestions? Thanks.

Gearbox

Re: Linkert carb flange gasket

Post by Gearbox »

What seems to be the common or best way of mounting the linkert carb, with the thicker isolater gasket, or two thin gaskets on each side of the metal plate, surley you guy's have the answer. Cheers Gearbox.

mbskeam

Post by mbskeam »

hello,
I have had the thick gasket and the thin ones over the years and they both work about the same. as in they sealed okay. is your carb mount face flat and not warped.
did you check this?
mbskeam

Gearbox

Post by Gearbox »

Thanks for the reply Mbskeam, I will check out the intake flange and carb flange for straightness. I should have just bought a intake tester from you, by the time I rigged up all the pieces and used a piece of plexiglass, I could have saved alot of aggrevation and been done with it. Would you be interested in selling just a alumimum linkert plate, do you thread your plates or just bolt to the intake with nuts and bolts? I'd like to scrapp this Plexiglass,not sure if its sealing. First thing I'll check the flanges with a feeler gauge and straight egded, what do ya figure the allowable warparge would be?

Cotten

Post by Cotten »

The phenolic spacer with dual gaskets was introduced in -48 and assists a proper alignment with the support, among other things. Removing it may cause (besides purists pointing their stink finger) a tweak of stress on the assembly, promoting future leaks. (The support should always be massaged for the best mating of the carb to the manifold after the manifold is sealed.

Note also that a different bolt length was used.

The disadvantage of this design is that the spacer does not offer much support against fastener distortions. Avoid over-torquing, and most carbs need the flange dressed to flat beforehand. A few swipes on a flat abrasive surface tells the story..

kickstart
Bikes: 1957 pan
99 flht
96+91 SOFTAIL

Post by kickstart »

I don't know as much as the previous guys, but I got to give up one thought - re the plexiglass thing. That material does not compress and I think it is sort of like a metal to metal seal, or worse. So I would get ride of such a material and go with normal spacer, (about $15) so as to get a good and compressable seal.

Hope this helps.

mbskeam

Post by mbskeam »

hello,
kickstart....
the plexiglass thing being talked about is for pressure testing the intake for leaks. not as a gasket
mbskeam

VintageTwin
Panhead Register Member
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

Post by VintageTwin »

I use a thick sandwiched between two thins, I think...have to go look to be sure. Get an intake manifold test kit from Mbskeam. I did. 8-)

Return to “Linkert”