linkert m74b float bowl / press. test adapt.

Linkert related issues
Diluted1

linkert m74b float bowl / press. test adapt.

Post by Diluted1 »

Hey guys,

I am looking to source a good reproduction float bowl, if there are any.

Oh, and a pressure test adapter for a linkert manifold, anyone making them?

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks

Jason

NYFB
Bikes: '63 Rat Pan
'71 Triumph Chop
'02 Softail
'01 Road King

Re: linkert m74b float bowl / press. test adapt.

Post by NYFB »

Not sure on the repop float bowl.
As far as the pressure tester, you can make one easy enough. I just took some 1/8" plate and drilled the bolt pattern in it and installed a male air hose adapter to the center of it (1/4" NPT). Then you can regulate an air source down to 5 psi or so and just hook up the air hose to provide some constant manifold pressure. Then spray soapy water to look for leaks. With a constant air supply, the adapter doesn't even have to seal perfectly to the manifold, so a two hole bolt pattern works just fine and is a little easier to fab.

Bigincher
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

I agree, easy enough to fab a manifold block-off plate with hose fitting. Here's the one I made:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Cotten

Post by Cotten »

Even ABS plastic or hardwood can be carved for a test plate.

Block-off plates are certainly most convenient, but a #9 rubber stopper with a hole through it works if you have three strong hands.
The individual nipples in pre-'55 heads can only be tested with a stopper of some sort.

There are a few different varieties of reproduction Linkert bowls on the market. All of them stand out to the trained eye.

....Cotten
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Diluted1

Post by Diluted1 »

Awesome, thanks for the help!

As for testing the individual nipples on the heads, what if they leak? They look to have been replaced at some point once already.

Concerning the float bowl, where would one find a decent used one or does anyone recommend a certain reproduction?

john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

Bigincher
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

Repro bowls also available at 'Into The Wilderness', but I have no idea where they source them. Photos look like decent product.

http://www.linkertcarbs.com/linkertfloa ... ilter.html

Cotten

Post by Cotten »

Diluted1!

If your nipples leak, it is a grave concern, as repairs are not easy, even for the skilled and experienced.

It is the sort of thing that you will want to start a separate discussion to address, after you have searched and reviewed this site for previous discussions.

We are here to help,

....Cotten

rodklop
Bikes: Harley 42 WLA Harley 48FL

Post by rodklop »

"The individual nipples in pre-'55 heads can only be tested with a stopper of some sort."

Cotton....You said the above statement in previous post. are you saying the nipples can't be tested through the manifold? I'm not followihg, please explain.....Rod

FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

Rod,
I don't want to answer Cotten's question for him but I have learned the answer myself from a nipple that leaked in exactly the same place as the one in the NIPLLEAK photo he posted above. When you assemble the entire intake system the packing nuts will overlap the seam where the nipple joins the head and the bubbles will appear from under the nut, you have no way of knowing if the leak is coming from the nipple/head joint or from faulty packing rings around the outside of the nipple. You should test each nipple independently first, then test the assembled manifold.

mike

rodklop

Post by rodklop »

Mike...Thanks for the reply. The light went on when I read the post.....Rod

Diluted1

Post by Diluted1 »

Excellent information and I appreciate the feedback.

Please excuse my ignorance on the subject as I am a "youth" in this subject. I am 28 and am building my first "pan" which is a 48 EL. It will not be a restoration but a modified version of it. I am working with what I have. One day, when monies permit I will bring it to OEM.

Thanks in advance for all help. Where do you recommend getting the stopper to check the nipple? mcmaster?

Thanks!

Jason

rodklop

Post by rodklop »

Jason....Mc master might have them. I've seen them at the local ACE hardware store. They come with and without the center hole. You can drill it if you have to. I believe you want a #8 for the manifold and a #9 for the nipples. The last ones I bought from a local science surplus store called Scientific American....Rod

Cotten

Post by Cotten »

Winemaking shops should have rubber stoppers as well.
Some auto freeze-plugs can be made to work.
One fellow told me he used a small pet's toy ball.

The simple tool for boring 'corks' is merely a piece of thin-wall metal tubing that is sharpened to a cutting edge on one end. The other end commonly has a T-handle, so that the tool can twisted through the stopper to cut a plug that remains within the tool.

Of greater concern is that the air supply is constant and well regulated, sufficient time is allowed for the tiniest of leaks to produce a blister of foam, and that the soapy water is well-rinsed afterwards to prevent corrosion.

And last but not least, always test the pan cover screws over each intake port.

...Cotten

razzle51

Post by razzle51 »

Cotten wrote:Winemaking shops should have rubber stoppers as well.
Some auto freeze-plugs can be made to work.
One fellow told me he used a small pet's toy ball.

The simple tool for boring 'corks' is merely a piece of thin-wall metal tubing that is sharpened to a cutting edge on one end. The other end commonly has a T-handle, so that the tool can twisted through the stopper to cut a plug that remains within the tool.

Of greater concern is that the air supply is constant and well regulated, sufficient time is allowed for the tiniest of leaks to produce a blister of foam, and that the soapy water is well-rinsed afterwards to prevent corrosion.

And last but not least, always test the pan cover screws over each intake port.

...Cotten
could someone post a picture of the pan cover screws over the intake ports

Return to “Linkert”