Exhaust install

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Exhaust install

Post by Panacea » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:27 am

Description: I'm shopping for a stock style two into one system, with the cigar muffler.

Post by panacea on Mar 13, 2007, 3:22am

I'm shopping for a stock style two into one system, with the cigar muffler. Does this setup just hang from the bracket in front of the brake crossover tube and one 3 1/4 clamp on the muffler? I see there is a frame clamp available also for the front pipe, how does this two peice clamp mount? excuse my ignorance, always had drag pipes...Mike

Post by King on Mar 13, 2007, 4:08pm

Panaeca

My two-into-one system on my 51FL is stock and consists of 4 pieces; Front Pipe, “S” pipe, Rear Pipe, and “Y” pipe plus the cigar muffler. The only mountings are as you described the “S” pipe mounts via a tab to the frame and the muffler hangs off the strap clamp back near the axle. I have run my bike for 30+ years with out the 2 piece clamp that ties the front pipe to the frame but I just got one and will hook it up. The one piece fits around the front pipe the other around the frame (right hand down tube) and the two straps bolt together. I think it is a good idea as it stabilizes movement of the pipe and thus prevents wear on the front head exhaust spigot.
The only installation problem I’ve had is with the “S” pipe which can be a bugger to get right. Also the “Y” Pipes come in various lengths (on the muffler side) so you want to measure before ordering.

Good Luck

King

Post by panacea on Mar 13, 2007, 10:51pm

Thanks King, So far the only pipes i've found are paughco 48-65 in JP's catalog 440-259. Seems like a wide range of years they'll fit. I don't see any options for diferent "Y" pipe sizes though..Mike

Post by King on Mar 14, 2007, 12:09pm

Mike

You are right to question the 48-64 range. There were changes in the “Y” pipe when the Duo Glide came out in 58, thus the different lengths. But the front and rear pipes stayed the same and the “S” pipe was the same from the start of the Knuckles to 64. Check out NOS Parts www.nosparts.com they have the full line at good prices.

King

Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea » Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:32 am

The pipes I finally bought from paughco ,712-C fit my 51 but the cigar muffler has to mount too far back or it interferes with the lower frame in the tail section. I believe these pipes are advertised as fitting 48-65, in reality they fit 58-65 correctly. The 48-57 pipes need to be a four piece system with a shorter/offset away from the frame "Y" pipe, instead of the long "Y" pipe that comes with the three piece system. So if the four piece system is used, the muffler can be mounted in it's correct location, right up behind the tranny. Mike

VT

Post by VT » Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:36 pm

12-18-07 I got an obsolete repop rear header, from a supplier who still has some, to compare. The supplier told me that they sell the same "V-Twin" (USA made) headers that you see above (that's about to undergo some incremental grind sessions) and nobody's complained.
My complaint has been the first one they've received. I tend to think that "frame" differences between OEM and my 1997 55-57 frame may be my problem. At any rate, you have to fit all these pieces completely together before you make any conclusions.
IMO, from looking at them both. I'd say that if you're thinking about running an OE style oil filter, and a voltage regulator, the V-Twin USA pipe has a more clearance "S" to it that the old-pop one.

Return to “Exhaust”