Dual Exhaust With Rear Center Stand ???

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
steve_wood
Bikes: 56 FLH, 2007 FLHRCI

Dual Exhaust With Rear Center Stand ???

Post by steve_wood » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:02 pm

I have a 56FLH with true dual exhaust (straight pipe fish tails - loud as heck). The rear center stand is missing. Can I put one on? Or do I have to revert to the stock single exhaust?

The Palmer book states that dual exhaust was available in 1954, so I know that true dual for 1956 can be "correct".

Another question: On the later panheads, with dual exhaust, they used the 21" mufflers vs the 24" muffler used on the single exhaust. I sized it on my pan and 24" muffflers look fine, but I'd be interested to know what the factory solution would be. I am thinking of removing the straight pipes and putting on mufflers. The pipes are just too loud and they seem to affect performance at low RPMs.....

Interestingly, the later pans seemed to have an anchor for mounting the muffler bracket on the left side. Doesn't seem to be anything on the left side of my frame. Looks like the only choice would be to attach the bracket to the same hole that mounts the center stand. And thus the connundrum.

PS: What a great website. Wish there was one of these for when I did my Sportster and Topper restorations!!!

steve

windweaver
Bikes: 49 HD

Post by windweaver » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:35 pm

the longer mufflers may hit the ground on turns. just a thought. WW

steve_wood

Post by steve_wood » Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:04 pm

I had the same thought. The headers look like they are as high up as they can go. It looks to me like the mufflers will be at the same height as the stock single muffler set up.

I'll have to put little bells on the lower frame to sound the alarm if I get too hard over. :0

steve

john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '71 Suzuki Duster 125, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD » Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:20 pm

if you are running full size tires your floorboards and primary will hit first!

john

steve_wood

Post by steve_wood » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:34 pm

I bet you're right. Hopefully I can get somebody to help me in the shop. Have him (her?) tilt the bike so I can see what is the low point in left and right bank.

Anybody have any more info on true duals with the rear center stand? Does it work?

steve

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:21 am

Steve, Duel or single make no diffrance with the jiffy stand. If ya don't already have one? Try to find one with all the hardware. Its a bitch to find this stuff separately. Make sure the muffler support clip is there. Bob

steve_wood

Dual Exhaust With Rear Center Stand

Post by steve_wood » Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:47 pm

Well, found out a few things:

- The brake arm may block the stand when it gets close to the "engaged" position. I flipped the arm around so it was more forward, adjusted the brake travel and problem solved.

- It looks like the 24" mufflers will NOT fit with the stand - the stand hits the end of the mufflers when you pull it down. It's not even close to clearing the muffler.

I'm going to try the 21" mufflers. Not sure if this is correct for a 56, but maybe it was an unlisted factory option.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

steve

Return to “Exhaust”