Create your own blog: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17487

Loose exhaust

Lately I've been running my 1963 with the exhaust pipes a bit loose on the cylinder head exhaust spigots

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
jack moghrabi

Loose exhaust

Post by jack moghrabi » Wed May 03, 2006 12:00 pm

Good morning everyone,

Lately I've been running my '63 with the exhaust pipes a bit loose on the cylinder head exhaust spigots. I haven't used a sealer so there is some leakage taking place. I know I've written about how nice my bike runs so the loose pipes don't seem to be affecting performance. Is this OK? I don't let the cylinders get hot (I'll go out of way to avoid a long red light). Jack Mo

vintagehd

Re: Loose exhaust

Post by vintagehd » Wed May 03, 2006 12:19 pm

Mine too ran loose for 20 years, until this year, when I read I was ok to use high temp silly puty on them...don't know the ramifactions of that long term abuse, but it does not seem to be hurt from it all... it seems to be running same using the silly puty with the excpetion that all the wicked popping seems to be gone...kinda liked that though!...V.

fourthgear

Post by fourthgear » Wed May 03, 2006 1:01 pm

I also had exh. leaks ,seemed like all of them leaked . I cut two extra slices where the pipe goes over the exh. spigots and used high temp. sealant also and all the exh. noise is behind me now and I can hear the motor again. I goobered them up pretty good ( a million times more than I would recommend for any use of that stuff) and let them set for an hour before reassembly.

panfreak
Panhead Register Member

Post by panfreak » Wed May 03, 2006 4:11 pm

I did as fourthgear, added extra slices and high temp sealer. I also cut a strip of beer can aluminum and made a "gasket". I made it about 1" x circumference of pipe, and folded it in half. I added a couple tabs when cutting it out so I could bend them over outside of pipe to hold in place while I pushed it into on. These tabs are tucked under clamp so you don't see them. No more leaks. Although I am the first to post this trick, many before me have done it as well.
NOTE:
If you make sure and screw up a bunch of the first prototypes, you have no choice but to empty more beer cans to cut up. I see it as a WIN / WIN situation.
Have fun.

fourthgear

Post by fourthgear » Wed May 03, 2006 5:56 pm

Man , I only drink from bottles , maybe if I cut out the bottom and tops I could use the middle for a gasket, NOT! Well it won't stop me from getting a few out of the way to try.

VPH-D

Post by VPH-D » Fri May 05, 2006 2:03 pm

Try using a tin can insted of a beer can, they last longer. I have quaffed many sacrificial beers over the years, but the tin cans do work better.
VPH-D

Return to “Exhaust”