Exhaust systems for older bikes

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
panironslim

Exhaust systems for older bikes

Post by panironslim » Tue Feb 10, 2004 8:35 pm

Hi People,

I'm a new member and new Panhead rider. I recently purchased a modified '48 pan from a guy in CT. He has removed the original oil tank and replaced with a custom round job that is pretty wide. Basic shotgun style pipes won't clear the new tank without some ball peen fine tuning. Which he has done on some Paughco pipes. :-/ It appears that the only rear pipe that will fit around this custom oil tank is the original style two into one wraps in front of the tranny and kick start. Question is this:

Are there any other manufacturers, other than Paughco that make pipes for older bikes? I've looked around and it seems Paughco is about the only one, aside from AAOK (and all of theirs is stock style), that does. I 'm looking for custom style pipes(old school) with either turnouts or up sweeps).

Thanks for any info that you can provide.

Mike

dirtydistrict
Bikes: 2010 road king at the moment. Won't last long

Re: Exhaust systems

Post by dirtydistrict » Fri Feb 13, 2004 8:31 am

Hi and welcome Slim, don't know if there's others manufacturers than Paughco; but the old two in one system is probably the best one to keep a good engine running and easy carb setting, you can't be wrong. Cheers. DD

suicideshovel65

Post by suicideshovel65 » Fri Feb 13, 2004 8:42 am

Hi,

There are a lot of NOS period accessory pipes available on ebay - look for Superior pipes with the keyword "panhead". Quite a number of options available it seems.

Cheers,

S.

panironslim

Post by panironslim » Fri Feb 13, 2004 8:46 am

Thanks for the info, guys. I thought that was going to be the way to go. I'm waiting on some tech info from Samson about their "Silver Bullet" fishtails. Trying to find out if they will slip onto the Paughco two into one header.

Second question: how does the two into one keep the engine running well and the carb easier to tune?

Mike

dirtydistrict

Post by dirtydistrict » Fri Feb 13, 2004 9:16 am

Exhaust !!!! this is quite a hard subject to discuss as manies physical phenomenons are to be considered; the adavantage of any two in one system is that pressures and back pressures equilibrate themselves because of the communication between front and rear, I'm not the most qualified to talk about this, but I know that drag pipes on my iron head sportser made a lot of noise for nothing really interesting, except burning exhaust valves, and being the "local nasty" that wake up neighbours and starts a doggy barking contest ;)

chopper

Post by chopper » Fri Feb 13, 2004 11:26 am

Well, the two into one maybe is the best choice for hp but nothing beats the sound of a Panhead with upsweeps and Fish tails..
Noise is nice

LOUD PIPES SAVES LIVES

dirtydistrict

Post by dirtydistrict » Fri Feb 13, 2004 1:23 pm

Hiiii Rikard, happy to see you here. When I was working as a sound technician (some centuries ago now), i made an experiment: I took the sound straight off a panhead and an evo drag pipes; then put them in a spectrum analyzer; the pan one one was very much more musical, the difference was the same than between analog and numeric sound; much more warmer for the Pan.
Loud pipes shorten life in France: try to ride twice in the same small street of a little village then just wait to hear the gun shot....twist the throttle grip and smile to the bullet... ;)

Jonderson

Post by Jonderson » Fri Feb 13, 2004 2:20 pm

panironslim:

You should be able to find what you want with no trouble, and just a little patience if you are going the ebay route.

Personally guys, I like being the "local nasty". Those barking dogs bark anyway, usually when I am trying to sleep, or if a firetruck is going by. The neighbors use their car horns as doorbells, so who is really the nasty anyway? The family next door whose driveway I share also like it that I am the local nasty, even though they are not riders. I like my drags, and the sound they make. Many of the Evo guys I know don't understand why I would do it this way and ask me, "What about performance?". (See the "old school thread") I tell them if I was concerned about wringing out every last ounce of performance out of an engine I would be riding a Ducati. They still don't get it. In the end it is what makes you happy with your machine, and that is why it is called "custom".

dirtydistrict

Post by dirtydistrict » Fri Feb 13, 2004 2:54 pm

Yeah; anyway with or without drag pipes I'M THE LOCAL NASTY, stuck in the 50's, playing guitar with my amp set to 11, bike is just the visible part of this tragedy ;)

kell

Post by kell » Fri Feb 13, 2004 3:27 pm

Guys like attracting attention. It's genetic! But puhleeze don't tell me you needs to save your life.

haggis

Post by haggis » Sat Feb 14, 2004 6:11 am

Hi Guys,
I'm with Chopper....nothing beats the sound of up sweep fishtails...a sound all it's own...a nice crisp tubey brack when wound and a tunefull potato on idle...plus the ladies love that leg burn!
DirtyD....didn;t know you rocked out too...just got back in from my Friday night gig...still rockin..
Play two to three weekends a month..same old rock...love it. fancy a jam sometime? Haggis

DuoDave

Post by DuoDave » Sat Feb 14, 2004 11:04 am

Now we're talking! I play a Fender Stratocaster and Gibson SG through a Roland tube amp. We should form a band. This may be the Panhead site, but I reckon we would be "The Knuckleheads"! ;)

dirtydistrict

Post by dirtydistrict » Mon Feb 16, 2004 8:39 am

Right for The Knuckleheads; they are back in town and play loud !
I play Fender telecasters, used to play a grestch Tennessee rose but sold it to buy.....STD heads, everything plugged on a Fender twin with a "sansamp" for a terrific sound. Also I play bass guitar. Motorcycling and rock'n roll have allways been together 8-)

Sidecar

Post by Sidecar » Mon Feb 16, 2004 1:31 pm

If you guys play, I'll keep the beer cold !!!!!!

BigMike
Bikes: 01 FLHPI
64 FLH
Various partials....

Post by BigMike » Mon Feb 16, 2004 10:07 pm

straight throughs and fishtails also are great amusement at night..... putt around yuppieville setting off car alarms! It's wonderful entertainment! and to top it off, the beemer crowd gets blamed for their car alarms!

Return to “Exhaust”