Drag pipe fitment: I am concerned with the fit

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
xnoahx

Drag pipe fitment: I am concerned with the fit

Post by xnoahx » Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:16 am

I need some new exhaust pipes for my 64 pan and I am thinking of going with a set of drag pipes by paughco but I am concerned with the fit. The sets I am looking at are this one
http://www.jpcycles.com/productgroup.as" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... FEB5EB5E74
the only problem with those that it says they are for a swingarm frame and mine is a rigid. there is also these ones http://www.jpcycles.com/productgroup.as ... 0C7E917575

My concern with these is with the rear pipe, im not sure if it will work with the external oil filter.
Or maybe something like these but the oil filter comes into play again.
http://www.jpcycles.com/productgroup.as ... 5D7C04B2E6
Let me know what you think.

mbskeam

Re: Drag pipe fitment

Post by mbskeam » Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:43 am

hello,
some will say dont do this , but I like the sound of straight pipes.
but you will loose low end pull, so beware
if you run stock forks make sure that you get the squish pipe style that keeps it all in the frame, so that it will not drag on the ground.this is not fun when hittin it in the curves.
you will also have to play with the jetting, and make the mounts,fit the pipes to the exshaust ports as most after market pipes I have seen are big, pop cans cut into strips make good take up material.
and the best part is when you get to wake up the nosey neighbor on sunday morn when going out on a putt. it's all fun.

mbskeam

go with the style that YOU like best

panfreak
Panhead Register Member

Post by panfreak » Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:49 am

I run a stock two into one, but I do run an oil filter and I'll bet that the second two won't work with a filter in place. Just looking at the first one you selected, the rear pipe looks similar in curves to a stock rear pipe, so you might be able to snake it around an oil filter, but there's no way in hell any of the three are gonna BOLT ON. Whether you are rigid or swingarm, you're gonna have to either get creative, or do a little welding (maybe both).

Good advice also with the strips of aluminum, works well, but actually it's more fun emptying BEER cans.

RussW
Bikes: 1961 FL
2007 Kaw. Vulcan 2000

Post by RussW » Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:42 am

I used the second type with the over- trans rear for a couple years on my swingarm pan. Not sure about the oil filter clearance, but that rear pipe was a bitch to make a good solid mount for that didn't let the pipe shift around, or end up looking like it was mounted crooked.. Also very little clearance for the kicker arm. Just didn't fit well.

mbskeam

Post by mbskeam » Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:22 am

hello,
if you get the pipe style that drops down off the rear head it should clear the oil filter,.... might if not then you will get to make more parts.....

had a set of pipes I didn't, like so I turned them into this....
dragpipe1.jpg
dragpipe1.jpg (5.66 KiB) Viewed 1688 times
pipe.

it all started off so innocently... and really spiraled out of control from there.

mbskeam

hplhd
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1998 heritage springer

Post by hplhd » Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:47 am

that first set is what i have on my 64(swingarm) with the filter. stock kicker wouldn't clear so changed to offset.

63panhead

Post by 63panhead » Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:53 pm

I bought the third set, the 'shotgun' style. They fit the rigid frame easily, but I don't have an external oil filter. I missed the sound and midrange of my fishtail pipes. So I cut the drag pipes and put the fishtail slip-ons on the drag pipes and then wrapped them with black header wrap. There is huge improvement in sound and performance with the fishtail tips on these pipes. The squish pipe is a real tight fit between the motor and frame, but it works. Here's the pics:
dragpipe2.jpg
dragpipe2.jpg (28.15 KiB) Viewed 1688 times
dragpipe3.jpg
dragpipe3.jpg (27.3 KiB) Viewed 1688 times

03Roadking

Post by 03Roadking » Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:44 am

Hello
If your still looking, go to http://www.paughco.com/html/main.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and check out the rest of there pipes J&P only sell two or three styles to fit Pan's and Shovels Paughco has 13 pages for Panhead I found a really nice set of up sweeps for my rigid and there a little cheaper than J&P

Return to “Exhaust”