Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL custom
58 FL
59 FLH running restoration
76 FLH All Original

Dual exhaust: cannot get the pipe through the frame

Post by PanPal » Mon Sep 27, 2004 4:24 pm

I'm installing the correct year crossover pipe on my 59. I have the regulator and the outer primary cover off. I've removed the kicker arm and both floor boards. I still can't get the pipe through the frame and in position. Can someone who has done this tell me if I need to now remove the inner primary to get the clearance I need or is there a trick to this? ??? Also does the pipe clamp bolt to the cylinder base nut with a single hex nut, or should I have one nut holding the cylinder down and sandwich the clamp with another thin nut?

PanPal
58 FL
76 FLH All Original

Re: Dual exhaust

Post by PanPal » Tue Sep 28, 2004 3:30 pm

The inner is now off and I'm getting closer. Now it appears the oil filter assembly is in the way. I wouldn't be surprised if I'm taking motor mounts loose tonight. I hope this new pipe fits correctly once it gets in position. I'm ready to flip the wrench the other direction Dammit.

Any news from Billy, Weez, or Haggis ???

Trevor

Post by Trevor » Sun Oct 03, 2004 7:33 pm

The inner is now off and I'm getting closer. Now it appears the oil filter assembly is in the way. I wouldn't be surprised if I'm taking motor mounts loose tonight. I hope this new pipe fits correctly once it gets in position. I'm ready to flip the wrench the other direction Dammit.

Any news from Billy, Weez, or Haggis ???
Fitted the above when I rebuilt my Dou – they are fiddly to fit but it is just a matter of getting the right angle for it to fall into place, usually when you are not looking or have just kicked it in disgust. The clamp just bolts down under the base nut but I found that it fitted better under the right-hand base nut and don't use slotted bracket they supply (Paughco). Use it to fit front cylinder down pipe to front engine mount bolt. No need to take off inner primary

PanPal
58 FL
76 FLH All Original

Post by PanPal » Mon Oct 04, 2004 2:55 pm

It's in and looks a lot tighter than the old set up. The OEM clamp fit best under the right base nut. I wanted to do a good PM on the bike anyway, so taking off the extra parts gave me more room to work and while I was in there that far, I changed my final drive trans sprocket from a 25 tooth to a 24. At 55 MPH, it was not much above an idle.
Those teflon head gaskets on freshly surfaced heads are working great. The bolts didn't have to be touched and no leaks.

Return to “Exhaust”