Powder coating head pipes

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Sidecar

Powder coating head pipes

Post by Sidecar » Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:19 am

Does anyone know if you can powder coat head pipes ?
I've got a set laying around that could use re-chromed. I was thinking about stopping at the powder coater to see if it was possible.

57pan

Re: Powder coating head pipes

Post by 57pan » Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:51 pm

I don't have a definitive answer, but I don't think powdercoat will take that kind of heat.
Steel will turn blue at about 600 deg. F. I'm not sure if the same applies to chrome but if your pipes are blue near where they attach to the head I guess it's not unreasonable to think that they are seeing temps in the 600* range. I think the oven temp for baking the powdercoat is in the 400* range.

fourthgear

Post by fourthgear » Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:14 pm

I have my flat pipe high temp. powder coated (silver)and its still like new. Was done at Creative Powder coating in Elyria , Ohio. My cylinders were done too , but in electric teal , like the color of my frame.

Hay ,Panhead I finally figured out how to copy and paste.

Kuda

Post by Kuda » Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:46 pm

No, not really. There are some high temp powder coatings out there, but if you've got stock pan exhaust outlets (instead of STD or shovel styled exhaust) the contact area at the head pipe is just too high for powder coat. It transfers too much heat from the pipe to the head, let alone the exhaust temps themselves. The only way to do it is ceramic coating, like Jet-Hot or one of the imitations. I had my pipes coated by Jet-Hot, flat black, but they also do silver (almost chrome) and gloss black. They're rated to 2000 degrees, so I *think* they'll be fine. :-) No financial interest in the company, just a happy customer...

-Kuda
'49 FL

Skip
Bikes: 48 pan
81 shovel
01 softail std
04 heritage
08 roadking
72 ct70

Post by Skip » Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:53 pm

I hear ceramic coating is the only way to go...about 135.00 a set is what they tell me...Skip

Sidecar

Post by Sidecar » Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:25 pm

Looks like ceramic coating is the way to go.
Saw jet-hot on the net. Looks interesting.
This gives me something to think about. It's part of the future winter project program.

panfreak
Panhead Register Member
Panhead Register Member

Post by panfreak » Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:32 pm

VHT spray paint (automotive stores) is good to I think 1500' or so, and works very well on exhausts. I am amazed how it has held up on my pipes, no flaking or peeling whatsoever, even under my drippy oil filter (now fixed). It bakes on when you fire up for the first time, and after about 7000 miles is still looking great. All this for $15.00 per can, I think I used 2?

62trvler

Post by 62trvler » Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:06 am

I've heard that if they are new pipes and clean you can spray a couple coats of high heat paint inside the pipes before you use them and it will stop or limit the blueing from the heat.

Sidecar

Post by Sidecar » Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:37 am

I've heard that if they are new pipes and clean you can spray a couple coats of high heat paint inside the pipes before you use them and it will stop or limit the blueing from the heat.
Yes, this'll work.

Return to “Exhaust”