True dual exhaust

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
51Hog

True dual exhaust

Post by 51Hog » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:57 pm

I really like the sound of the dual exhaust (Without the cross over)
I found one here at http://www.aaok.com/categories/8-exhaust-system Part number 3617 for a 58 - 64 Pan.
Any chance that it will fit my rigid?

Dale

PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL custom
58 FL
59 FLH running restoration
76 FLH All Original

Re: True dual exhaust

Post by PanPal » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:58 pm

I think there is a difference on that rear pipe. This one for the swing arm frames has a lot tighter curl for the rear exhaust port. I watched on E-bay for a long time before I got my first set up. I think V twin offers the true dual for your rigid. I am not sure if it come with the straight pipe to replace the Y pipe but it may.

PanPal
58 FL
76 FLH All Original

Post by PanPal » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:03 pm

Looking at it again, you really dont need the 1 piece squish pipe. You can use your existing squish which is probably properly located and save repositioning the mounting tab. To convert from either dual crossover or 2 into 1, you only need the rear header pipe the 1 3/4" straight pipe to replace the Y pipe and the clamp for the rear header pipe.

If converting from the 2 to 1 , you will also need the second muffler and the left side muffler support bracket and clamps.

sprucecreek

Post by sprucecreek » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:36 pm

For the duals, you will also need the correct muffler brackets which look like the ones used on the 2 into 1 muffler. For the rigid frame, the muffler hangs on the clamps, which have two bolt holes. (I got mine from Old Dude.) The post-58 duoglide clamps are shorter with an single hole, and are designed to mount with the bolt underneath to support the muffler (look at some pictures of the softail pans to see the difference). If you use the wrong clamps, the mufflers will be angled upward at the back. On my dual exhaust (which does have the crossover), the left muffler hangs on a short tab attached to the frame, while the right hangs from the same hole in the frame used by the stock set up.

PanPal
58 FL
76 FLH All Original

Post by PanPal » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:55 pm

yea, your right...... I was picturing the duo glide in my head as a wrote.

51Hog

Post by 51Hog » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:35 pm

Thanks for the info.
Just looked at the true dual that V Twin has----Almost $400.00 ---without the mufflers. A little more than my budget can handle right now.
I wonder if the rear pipe for the swing arm machine would fit on the rigid frame even though the curl may be tighter.

How much more does the rear pipe heat up the oil tank when passing by it? Is that a concern?
Dale

PanPal
58 FL
76 FLH All Original

Post by PanPal » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:10 pm

Dale, I wish I could tell you for sure about weather or not it would fit. Most of the time I am digging through a buddies stash of blemishes, so I don't even know who made it. I can tell you the last rear pipe I installed did not fit either a rigid or a swingarm frame, but it had evidence that at some point it was installed on a running bike. I cut and welded as needed. I see them listed for rigid frames or for swing arm seperatly from suppliers. FWIW except on E-bay when someone lists them as Panhead 48 to 64 so I can only assume they are different. I have never been allowed to install one on my swing arm frame that was on a rigid to know for sure.

I do not feel it affects the oil temp at all. I figure with the standard cross over dual, you are heating the tank from both sides. With a 2 into 1 set up you are very close to the oil lines also.

51Hog

Post by 51Hog » Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:19 am

Wish I had a buddy like that----LOL
Here is a pic that shows two different true duals--
page_259.jpg
page_259.jpg (58.76 KiB) Viewed 1613 times

PanPal
58 FL
76 FLH All Original

Post by PanPal » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:53 pm

The bottom two sets are for a 65. They are listing the top true duals so they fit both. May be they are the same, or may be they can be made to work on both but don't match the original set up's.

Return to “Exhaust”