Three Piece Exhaust on a Rigid Pan

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
VT

Three Piece Exhaust on a Rigid Pan

Post by VT » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:58 am

I just received this email from National of a J&P build up for auction. Check the exhaust. Is that a 1965 only "Y" :?:
http://echo4.bluehornet.com/hostedemail ... 29E9A339DB

Definitely a 3-bolt exhuast. I guess somebody made 3-bolt headers and a 3-piece exhaust that actually fits as a "complete set" on a V-Twin frame yet. Ya' think? About time.
But, a fine how-do-you-do. Somebody can make anything other than the original 4-piece design and make it correct too. But can someone make a 4-piece exhaust for spigot heads that fit a V-Twin frame? Not. And why the heck not? It's a mixed up world out there in the repop parts business. Pitiful.

Nice machine though. There's your first showroom finished repop Pan. Looks original to most. I'm not picking it apart. Spigot heads are available if you wanted some......just no 4-piece exhaust that fit's anything.

lockdoc
Bikes: 65 Panhead in a 70 FLH frame

Re: Three Piece Exhaust on a Rigid Pan

Post by lockdoc » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:44 am

http://www.nosparts.com has the 4 piece exhaust. Go to page 66. That is where I got my parts.

http://www.nosparts.com/cgi-bin/byteser ... anhead.pdf

VT

Post by VT » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:22 am

Those pipes are the Dennis Corso, Ohio pipes. The riveted bracket is fake, which is fine with me, but the pipes wouldn't fit my V-Twin frame. The "Y" pipe has too much kick and sends the muffler up in the air like a dirt bike.
I'm saying this as the catalog is still downloading, but when I get to the page I know what I'm going to see "Made in USA" , but they aren't Harley-Davidson. Thanks for looking. Nice catalog they have now.

lockdoc
Bikes: 65 Panhead in a 70 FLH frame

Post by lockdoc » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:05 am

What do you mean by "V-Twin" frame? I'm confused. Are you talking about the brand name? I have had these on my pan in a stock swing arm frame. I recently bought another front pipe and squish pipe to use with a set of shotgun pipes.

VT

Post by VT » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:13 pm

I have had these on my pan in a stock swing arm frame
Swing arm is another world of fit.
I have a rigid Pan frame. The frame is a replica frame made by V-Twin®.
I did receive an email last week from Don at Northland Industries - Delaware. They make the frames for V-Twin. He said he used V-Twin's 4-piece exhaust on a recent build of V-Twin rigid Pan, and the exhaust fit perfect. The exhaust he used from the V-Twin catalog were Corso. So, maybe everybodys fit now, but mine. Who knows.
Swing-arm pipes are shorter on the front header and the rear header doesn't have the sharp radius bend that the rigid-frame pipe does.
Glad your pipes fit.
They made the 3-piece pipes look pretty good on that J&P bike.

Return to “Exhaust”