Exhaust sealing

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
panwars
Bikes: 61FL in a late 49 frame.
59FLH almost stock

Exhaust sealing

Post by panwars » Thu Apr 22, 2004 4:43 pm

Description: I have been experimenting with various ways of sealing a shot rear exaust spiggot.

Hi all,
Hey, I think I am on to something here, time will tell. I have been experimenting with various ways of sealing a shot rear exaust spiggot. Lately I have been using header insulating wrap for a gasket with pretty good results, but after reading in here about silly slobber red (high heat silicone) I think I got the answer. I swedged the pipe out just a little, (your fit will very) I use the tight weave wrap, I will get a brand name later, as I threw out the label. It cuts nicely with sissors, then I coated the nipple spiggot with silicone, filling all voids etc. Mounted the pre cut piece, (just wraps around spiggot with a 64th" overlap) in a hose clamp set a little bigger than spiggot. Coated the inside of the wrap with silicone and slipped it into place, snug the clamp a little and let set overnight, remove clamp and you have a fixed gasket in place. Then slowly work the pipe over an up and tighten. when the pipe was fully mounted it was really solid. So far so good, 100% sealing, and it is cusioned a little. This stuff does not burn out, (previous experiments proved this) but with the silicone I think it may stay in a while. I will keep you posted.

PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL custom
58 FL
76 FLH All Original

Re: Exhaust sealing

Post by PanPal » Thu Apr 22, 2004 5:47 pm

We use to use a ceramic weave material in a foundry I worked at. I don't know where to get it or what it is called. This stuff was 1/16 " thick (compressible) you could put a piece of paper on it and fold it over the paper. Heat the cloth up with the biggest torch we had for 5 minutes and the paper never burned. Do you know if this is ceramic material? If the pipes were clamped to the frame keeping them in position, I don't think you would need the silicone.
McMaster Carr sells something they call Flame and moisture barrier part # 9583T1 it is $6.90 for a 19' x 18" sheet .03 thick. I'm not sure if this is it , but it says it won't burn or smoke when heated to 1830 degrees. BUT, this says it is used on dry generators and electrical applications.
Food for thought. I'm looking for some great seal as well.

May be this would work. http://www.thermostatic.com/tape/ceramictape.shtml

panwars
59FLH almost stock

Post by panwars » Thu Apr 22, 2004 9:31 pm

This stuff I am using did not burn up in previous tests, it just crept out. I think the silicone will hold it for quite awhile. I am working on the brand name, I have a friend who uses it on his 9 second big block chev headers. it is quality stuff, and easy to use.

popspan

Post by popspan » Fri Apr 23, 2004 1:54 am

So whats the brand name of the stuff you use to seal your pipes?

panwars
59FLH almost stock

Post by panwars » Fri Apr 23, 2004 5:29 pm

The company name is D.E.I. (No it is not Daryl Earnhart Inc.) Part# is 010102 I got it through my Parts Plus jobber. So far it is working perfectly.

I meant DALE Earnhart!

57Kicker

Post by 57Kicker » Sun May 02, 2004 6:18 pm

I used the sillycone with beer can shims last year with great success. Then a gear clamp on the front pipe to the frame to keep it in place. The rear pipe seemed to stay put. I have a two into one setup.

Return to “Exhaust”