Timing question

All ignition related articles
txpan49

Timing question

Post by txpan49 » Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:35 am

I am static timing my 49 manual advance Pan. I actually have two flywheel marks. One is TDC when the small cam lobe of the distributor is opening the points and about 90 degrees as the flywheel turns are two parallel marks. There is no "R" on my flywheel. The two parallel marks are probably as the piston begins its downward stroke best I can tell.
I want to set up the points as the first mark just enters the sight hole but my points are fully positioned and I cannot move it enough to go beyond the small lobe to start in a closed position.

Question - has anyone seen a flywheel with the parallel marks? And, should I take the distributor out and work with it until I can set the points with the first mark just entering the sight hole?

Thanks

fourthgear

Re: Timing question

Post by fourthgear » Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:23 pm

If you have a stock timer , you should be able to move the top part of the timer ( it rotates on the shaft housing )by loosening the nut that is on the cable clamp on the timer . The cable clamp or screw is where you attach the adv./retard cable from the left handle bar grip /adj.. If you are not using the twist grip for adv./retarding and just moving it by hand and holding it in adv. position with a spring or just friction it should be there , it just juts out from the middle of the timer. It may be hard to move because it is like a spring on there , you have to loosen it quite a bit . This adj. is how you get the light to light, just as you adv. it all the way.
As far as timing mark , you need to pull the front intake push rod cover and rotate motor till you see intake close , use a dowel rod , pen or what ever ( nothing metal ) and as the piston comes up to TDC you should see your proper mark. It helps to have help , we were not born with enough hands and eyes to be on both sides of the bike , although I do it my self, it is a bummer when the mark goes right by.

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:59 pm

The timing marks are not at Top Dead Center.

They appear in the inspection hole a prescribed number of degrees before TDC. They are advanced timing marks: Single line for front cylinder, double for rear (....unless you have some weird 1980s chubble wheels installed).
After finding the compression stroke for the front cylinder, as FourthGear referred to by watching the front intake pushrod begin to close, slowly move the flywheels with the kicker until the single line appears in the inspection hole as per the manual. Then if the small lobe of the advanced timer does not aim at the points follower, you will have to reinstall the timer on the correct tooth of its drive gear.
You are on the right tooth if your static line (continuity tester) shows the points to open and close when you work the advance control. Timing is merely to then adjust the head of the timer to where the light just flickers when the control reaches full advance.

...Cotten

fourthgear

Post by fourthgear » Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:40 pm

Cotton is right , It should have been BTDC. sorry .

txpan49

Post by txpan49 » Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:37 am

Thanks a bunch fourthgeat and Cotten. Cotten, I think you hit the nail on the head in that I probably have the distributor one gear off.

atahtood

Post by atahtood » Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:38 am

i need to know how to time a 1956 panhead?

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:57 pm

Atahtood!

Same procedure, except work the handgrip to advance the mechanism.

...Cotten

Return to “Ignition”