circuit breaker spring

All ignition related articles
Tigerman67
Bikes: 51 Panhead

circuit breaker spring

Post by Tigerman67 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:30 pm

I have a manual advance circuit breaker (timer, distributor) on my 51 Pan. I do not have the stock style left grip. I notice as I ride that it will slowly move to a more retarded position.

I have been told many people use a spring to help hold it in the advance position.

Just curious, is the spring loose enough that you can retard for starting with the spring in place? Or do you have to disconnect the spring to retard and reconnect after starting? If the spring is in place when starting, will the vibration plus the spring move it back to the advance position, or do you still have to do the dance to advance it by hand once it starts?

Any particular 'application' that I can use to get a spring that's about right to start with, or simply find an auto parts store that still sells generic springs and trial and error till I get something that is right?

Thanks,
Tigerman

Cotten

Re: circuit breaker spring

Post by Cotten » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:30 pm

Tigerman!

Your instincts are dead on.

There is also the C-shaped leaf spring beneath the points base, retained by the bail, that often has fatigued, and often intentionally flattened for ease with a grip control.

You can easily use pliers to bend its "W" shape taller, thus giving more resistance to the rotation of the base.

If it don't break.

....Cotten

jdpan
Bikes: 1952 Custom swingarm panhead

Post by jdpan » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:19 am

"There is also the C-shaped leaf spring beneath the points base...
You can easily use pliers to bend its "W" shape taller, thus giving more resistance to the rotation of the base."

Been doing this for a million years, no external spring needed.

KB65
Bikes: HD Pan

Post by KB65 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:06 am

jdpan wrote:"There is also the C-shaped leaf spring beneath the points base...
You can easily use pliers to bend its "W" shape taller, thus giving more resistance to the rotation of the base."

Been doing this for a million years, no external spring needed.

Man...wish I knew this years ago...Been having this same problem....such a simple fix.....won't be a problem anymore

....to continue with this,,,......Does the Grip controll move the timer back and forth as in throttle on... - and throttle off ...

- idle-retard....full throttle advance..OR?

I have been told to Start engine in Retard...then twist timer to advance and leave it there - But does the grip controll move the timer back to retard at idle ?

RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:11 am

I have been told to Start engine in Retard...then twist timer to advance and leave it there - But does the grip controll move the timer back to retard at idle ?
No, it does not. the only way to move it is to manually twist the grip. And it works just as a throttle. Towards you to advance, away from you to retard. Once the bike is running there is no need to retard at idle, in fact it isn't a good idea as an ultra slow idle is not good for bearings and other living things!
Robbie

Delaney
Bikes: 1955 fl panhead, 1962 fl, 2000 road king, 2003 special construction hard tail evo

Post by Delaney » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:19 pm

I am putting the finishing touches on a 55 panhead and first I need to thank everyone for the invaluable info. I have weened off this site.
I am looking for the mount and hardware for the distributor/circuit breaker advance at the motor end. I have searched high and low.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Pictures of final product to follow.

Return to “Ignition”