Distributor: wondering which one is correct for my engine

All ignition related articles
Richie

Distributor: wondering which one is correct for my engine

Post by Richie » Sat Jan 15, 2005 5:35 pm

Hi,

I'm a new member building a ground up 54 pan hardtail custom and will be popping in now and then to ask you guys some questions. I'm planning the electctrics now and am going with the Dyna S single fire setup. I'm searching for a distributor body for the electronics and wondering which one is correct for my engine. I'm going to rip the guts out and install the Dyna s electronic ignition. Drilling new holes (in the distributor not the engine cases) for the electronics is not a problem. Dynatek says their system is for 70 and up harleys but that won't stop me. I assume that's because it's 12v and the old Harleys are 6v. My sytem will be 12v, I'm just not sure which distributor body will fit my case. I understand all from 36 up are interchangeable but the clamps are different, one clamp, two clamps, screws? etc.. Which one should I get? I think I need the two clamp kind. But anything that will hold the electronics is fine. Has to be good quality without too much slop or play. Saw some cheap made in Taiwan aftermarket ones but no way, not on my bike. Also saw some panhead dual point and single point but don't want to spend a lot on a two point dist. when I'll just screw Dynateks plate in it and not even use the points. Don't want to spend lots on aftermarket stuff. This bike will be stock looking not a boutique bike. I guess I'm looking for a stock used Harley distributor. Aftermarkets are too expensive or made in China. I think I must be careful of too much wear on a used stock one. Is this a common problem or do they last forever? Easy to rebuild with new bushings?

Richie,

p.s.
Just rebuilt the Linkert M74B and it cleaned up real nice. What a cool thing, big old hunk of brass. Can't wait to use it but I don't like the tall, backwards, poor performing throttle cable bracket and will fabricate something new.

mbskeam

Re: Distributor

Post by mbskeam » Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:00 pm

hello,
I dont think this will work because the dist. spins clock wise on 69 and older and the dist set up on 70 and up spins counterclock wise. I think you could flip plate up side down.S&S also sells a dist drive gear so that you can run late model ign.
but if you want electronic ign. then buy a mallory for around 180.00.
If you have the dist base then try http://www.45partsdepot.com/45parts/indexexp.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

all Im saying is that (im sure you have heard this) time is money. and you will need more time to fix other things on the old girl. have fun
mbskeam

1 star

Post by 1 star » Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:40 pm

45 Depot's electronic ignition is ONLY for manual advance timers. Won't work in an auto-advance.
Least that's what I read about it.

fourthgear

Post by fourthgear » Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:17 pm

I'm with mbskeam, buy the Mallory its a good investment and when set up right , makes them start and run better . Just my opinion. You have to get the late mod. clamp for the Mallory.

Richie

Post by Richie » Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:56 pm

I belive all the Mallory stuff is dual fire. I'm doing a single fire setup. I think the S&S gears that make the shaft spin backwards is the way to go or else flip it upside down. Maybe that's the easiest. Then I can keep the stock look with single fire performance hidden inside. Plus the Mallory stuff while good is expensive at around 200 bucks. I can get a stock used distributor for cheap. Then spend my money on the Dyna S. I couldn't find those gears on S&Ses website (sucks) but I'll hunt them down. If anyone knows where I can find them let me know. One more thing I'm wondering about is the shape of the shaft at the top where you put the rotor piece on. Are the shafts all shaped the same on the top of the shaft?

One more thing I forgot, What is the difference between auto and mechanical advance? I'm familiar with the weights that move out by centrifugal force as the revs go up. Which one is that mechanical or auto? Should I avoid either one? Mechanical sounds like you adjust it yourself, how? While riding?

1 star

Post by 1 star » Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:53 pm

You have it right auto-advance has the weights that sling open as the rpm's increase =advance curve.
Manual adv. is controlled by the hang grip (opposite the throttle) this you twist to retard & start it. & as you get going you twist it the other way slowly advancing the timer. controlling from hand grip thru a control wire to the timer.
'64 Servicar, then 65 Pan had the first auto advance timers for HD.
Which one you prefer depends who you ask. As both work well. It's a choice thing. IMO

Richie

Post by Richie » Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:53 pm

I'm with mbskeam, buy the Mallory its a good investment and when set up right , makes them start and run better . Just my opinion. You have to get the late mod. clamp for the Mallory.
set up right? you mean like fix the little pin that holds the gear on the end so it won't fall off and kill your mill?

"If you want it done right, do it yourself."

kell

Post by kell » Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:00 am

The reverse rotation is not a problem with the Dyna S, I searched and found some info on it last night. Only effect of the reversed rotation: you have to time it on the rear cylinder instead of the front.
I couldn't find out how you are supposed to attach the magnet collar to the shaft. Maybe call the Dyna tech people. Or you could call J&P Cycles. They will answer questions ungrudgingly.
When I started out with my Pan I had the single fire bug. I replaced the points in the manual advance breaker with a single-fire electronic assembly. Then a transistor failed and I rebuilt it -- dual fire, just because it's simpler. Less wiring, and you don't have to use two coils. Also, stuff I have read recently is starting to dispel the idea I had that I would get twice the spark if only I went to single fire ignition. Seems that when two cylinders fire simultaneously, most of the spark goes to the cylinder under compression. So the "wasted" spark of dual fire is not really such a big waste.

Richie

Post by Richie » Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:05 am

Great, where did you find that info? It seems to me that once the shaft is spinning backward (counter clockwise, the post '69 way) this is the way the Dyna wants it and should time normally off the front cylinder. I'm going to try to use the post '69 distributor to get the auto advance and counterclockwise rotation and all I should need is the gear from S&S to drive it. The Dyna S is made for '70 up distributors so the parts should work.

"Someone's in the kitchen with Dyna..."

1 star

Post by 1 star » Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:41 am

I'd be very curious to hear more about this S&S "gear" that makes the dist. rotor turn the opposite direction.
I can't see how myself. But I'm willing to hear what you got..

kell

Post by kell » Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:44 pm

Dyna FAQ -- http://www.dynaonline.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They say use the rear cylinder timing mark, but a stock Pan flywheel has no timing mark for the rear cylinder.
That would imply that you don't have to time the cylinders separately so why does it matter which cylinder you time it on? Setting the timing on one of them will lock the other in.
Curiouser and curiouser. Let us know what you find.

caschnd1
Bikes: 1949 FL Chopper

Post by caschnd1 » Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:47 pm

Here's my 2 cents: I run a Spyke 2-piece distributor. With the 2-piece design, you don't have to pull as many parts off the motor to install the distributor. For ignition I us a CDR ignition module from PowerArc (http://www.powerarc.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). This will work in distributors (make sure you read the correct instruction sheet for distributor installation) or cam end mount. If I recall, the powerarc will allow you to use either single or dual fire coils. I run two dual fire coils that are wired for single-fire (two plugs per cylinder). This module is automatic advance (I think all the electronic modules are).

Richie

Post by Richie » Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:44 pm

thanks, I've looked at the powerarc and spyke ditributor but the dist. is nearly 300, coil 100, and ignition 250. That's uh....almost 650 dollars. Ouch, I'm just a poor biker. I got a Dynatek coil for 50, ignition for 75 and looking for a used distributor for around 50. I haven't worked in two years so going the poor man's route. I'm going to call Dynatek tomorrow and get the scoop but it seems like all you have to do is swap the wires? Duh.

caschnd1
Bikes: 1949 FL Chopper

Post by caschnd1 » Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:17 pm

Don't blame you for wanting to save the $$. Either way, you'll need a distributor that allows you to mount the roter and ignition for the Dynatek module. You might look at eBay to see if you can pickup something used. I'm sure the Dynatek support people can fill you in on the proper wiring and timing procedure.

fourthgear

Post by fourthgear » Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:38 am

richie
I don't blame for wanting to save money eather , but you need to start adding up what you want to put into this Dist. and the time it takes to set it up . I know ya got more time than money , but it helps to have limitations. As far as the little pin your are refering to , ALL mechanical parts have there limitations and there are a lot of those Malloys out there with out problems . They are plug and play , so to speak .

Return to “Ignition”