Single fire ignition

All ignition related articles

Single fire ignition

Postby 108 » Fri May 11, 2007 11:08 am

Description: Does anybody make a single fire electronic ignition conversion for an automatic advance Panhead distributor?

Post by 108 on Oct 13, 2005, 4:56am

Does anybody make a single fire electronic ignition conversion for an automatic advance Panhead distributor ?

Post by 108 on Oct 14, 2005, 1:14am

When I typed the above post I forgot to add the words...."that dosent cost $500 ?"

Post by kell on Oct 15, 2005, 8:19pm

There are no single-fire conversions on the market that I know of; I think you have to buy a whole new "distributor."
The reason is that you can't fire two cylinders separately off of a single set of points. A single-fire system requires two sets of points or two electronic sensors to do the job.
Taking a breaker with a single set of points and installing a second set of points or removing the points and installing two sensors is no tea party, and you still have to get the timing of the rear cylinder right on somehow.

Post by jens on Nov 22, 2005, 3:51pm

i just used a dyna s system for a shovelhead.depending on what type of distributor you have you might have to grind the edge of the plate slightly.also remember to reverse the wires front and rear,since the shovel distributor moves the other way.it works great.

Post by bibs on Dec 12, 2005, 4:59am

I have a spyke distributor for a pan and a dual fire ignition component.the distributor is a 2 pc. unit and it,s polished.....are you interested? my e-mail is harleyguy1953@comcast.net

Post by bibs on Jan 25, 2006, 3:55pm

KELL thats a really clever set up!!! You can go single fire by using a reverse rotation timer gear in the cam chest and on the pinion drive of the points breaker(available from S&S) YOU,LL ALSO NEED a spyke 2 pc. timer housing(I have one for sale) and crane HI-4 ignition to put in it. I built a dual plug 93" sidewinder pan recently(then sold it!!!)They work nice but I dont really see the advantage over dual fire for 2500-4200 RPM motoring unless you are really inclined to want to make some big horsepower numbers for 1/4mile assaults...just my 02 here guys!! ...you can buy an electronic ignition off of EBEYOND.2000INC. that drops right in to your standard/original points breaker......ya still have to manually advance/retard the breaker for starting but you,ll never loose your time setting and no more points and condensor problems!!!

Re: Single fire ignition

Postby panclan » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:50 pm

I have been fighting with my pan for about 2 years, has a mallory single fire electronic ignition, it just shuts off, starts backfiring out the pipes and finally quits, after it cools down it'll start back up but you won't get far and it'll do it again, called Mallory and talked to their tech guys, that module has been discontinued, they are making a new one so I will have to buy the distributor with the new module, not ready for production yet, it will be a few months, personally, I don't trust that igntion either, been on the side of the road too many times. I like the idea of the dyna s, I have one in my shovel but I keep throwing the weights off the advance. I am going to try it on the Pan, the pan and the shovel are about the same, 88" big bore, 4 1/4 stoke, dual plugged, solid conversion, shovel has C grind with a G on it and the Pan has a B grind with a E on it. I have a spare set of coils, dual towers, 3 ohms on each one, that's what I was running on my shovel. going to have to order some new advance wweights and springs though, If anyone has information on this conveersion I would appreciate the help, I understand you have to reverse the wires to the coils, can't remember if the big slot on the cam is for the front or back.
panclan

Bikes: 69 pan, 79 shovel, 82 ironhead,84 ironhead, 88 sportster, 07 1200 custom

Postby panclan » Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:57 pm

I found my unilite distributor, found my spare dyna s ignition, found my spare dyna coils, dual tower, 3 ohm, going to try to put the dyna s in my pan, going to try to set it up single fire, has a couple of issues, ignition plate diameter is about 1/16" to big, the rotor is a little short, has a snap ring, need about 1/32" taken off to have clearance. Need to make a path for the wires to come out from the cover. running dual plugs, about 10-1 compression, kick start, I run the same setup in my shovel but it's been about 10 years since I set it up.
panclan

Postby panclan » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:14 am

ok, got the dyna s in the points distributor, milled the inside of the points plate for clearance and drilled a hole in the cover for the wires, got it running, don't use a timing light, seet it up so it fires just before top dead center, dual plugged,preetty high compression, starts good, haven't rode it yet, have other issues but it won't be long now.
panclan

Postby Bigincher » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:59 am

When running dual plugs, keep in mind that it's recommended to retard the overall timing (full advance) by 5 to 8 degrees. This is because the flame front is starting from each side of the piston and takes less time to reach full burn. So you start the burn a little later than normal to take advantage of it. If you don't change the timing, you're really not getting the full effect of the dual plugs.
Ask me how I know? I have a dual-plugged Shovel and a dual-plugged Evo. On the Evo, it might have been a wasted effort with flat-top pistons, but with the hemispherical pistons, I think it's a definite advantage--- but only as used as one component in conjunction with other components of a complete package; cam, carburetion, ignition, and exhaust.

To clear that up--- instead of setting the timing at 35 degrees BTDC, it should be set at 27-30 degrees BTDC. Instead of setting the timing with the flywheel mark in the center of the timing plug hole, move it to the front edge of the hole. The timing plug hole is about 10 degrees wide, so that delays the timing about 5 degrees.
Bigincher
Banned (temporarily)

Postby 58flh » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:46 pm

To set it accurately,use a degree-wheel!--Then theres no guessing about it.You simply adjust it where you need it.---Rspectfully---RICHIE
58flh

Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Return to Ignition