Single fire ignition

All ignition related articles

Single fire ignition

Postby 108 » Fri May 11, 2007 11:08 am

Description: Does anybody make a single fire electronic ignition conversion for an automatic advance Panhead distributor?

Post by 108 on Oct 13, 2005, 4:56am

Does anybody make a single fire electronic ignition conversion for an automatic advance Panhead distributor ?

Post by 108 on Oct 14, 2005, 1:14am

When I typed the above post I forgot to add the words...."that dosent cost $500 ?"

Post by kell on Oct 15, 2005, 8:19pm

There are no single-fire conversions on the market that I know of; I think you have to buy a whole new "distributor."
The reason is that you can't fire two cylinders separately off of a single set of points. A single-fire system requires two sets of points or two electronic sensors to do the job.
Taking a breaker with a single set of points and installing a second set of points or removing the points and installing two sensors is no tea party, and you still have to get the timing of the rear cylinder right on somehow.

Post by jens on Nov 22, 2005, 3:51pm

i just used a dyna s system for a shovelhead.depending on what type of distributor you have you might have to grind the edge of the plate slightly.also remember to reverse the wires front and rear,since the shovel distributor moves the other way.it works great.

Post by bibs on Dec 12, 2005, 4:59am

I have a spyke distributor for a pan and a dual fire ignition component.the distributor is a 2 pc. unit and it,s polished.....are you interested? my e-mail is harleyguy1953@comcast.net

Post by bibs on Jan 25, 2006, 3:55pm

KELL thats a really clever set up!!! You can go single fire by using a reverse rotation timer gear in the cam chest and on the pinion drive of the points breaker(available from S&S) YOU,LL ALSO NEED a spyke 2 pc. timer housing(I have one for sale) and crane HI-4 ignition to put in it. I built a dual plug 93" sidewinder pan recently(then sold it!!!)They work nice but I dont really see the advantage over dual fire for 2500-4200 RPM motoring unless you are really inclined to want to make some big horsepower numbers for 1/4mile assaults...just my 02 here guys!! ...you can buy an electronic ignition off of EBEYOND.2000INC. that drops right in to your standard/original points breaker......ya still have to manually advance/retard the breaker for starting but you,ll never loose your time setting and no more points and condensor problems!!!

Return to Ignition