Problems with attachments solved: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17433

Mallory Unilite and 12V system

All ignition related articles
63panhead
Bikes: 63 FLH
82 FLH

Mallory Unilite and 12V system

Post by 63panhead » Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:04 pm

'63 pan, 12V system. I have a Mallory Unilite distributor. The bike is not running well and I'm going through things to make sure everything is right. I could not get it started yesterday (kick only). Noticed weak spark and 8.5V on battery. Charged the battery and fired right up this morning, misses and pops though. I am troubleshooting the carb as well so I am looking at a few things at once.

The bike came with a Mallory Unilite distributor and a high performance coil (2 Ohm primary reading). I had it at a shop and they changed the coil to a 4 Ohm primary reading. They told me that the coil was to hot for my set up. Also the secondary wires are now reversed (the shop supposedly set the timing as well) from when I got the bike. The red wire from the distributor goes to the top post (mounted vertically plug wires facing front of bike) which goes to the rear cyclinder. The green wire goes through the coil to the front cylinder.
Looking for advice or what I should be checking. My Clymer manual covers the 12V system, but I left it at work.

Thanks for any replies.

kell

Re: Mallory Unilite and 12V system

Post by kell » Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:52 am

According to Mallory you can use anything between 2 and 4 ohms with their unit. The coil you had before, and the one you have now, are both acceptable. In my opinion, there was no need to change from a 2 ohm coil.
I couldn't visualize the wiring from your description. But here's a link to the instructions for installing a Unilite:
http://www.centuryperformance.com/mallo ... igTwin.pdf
Look at figure C, the diagram for wiring single plug heads. You should have yours wired like that. It doesn't matter which plug wire goes to which head.

63panhead
Bikes: 63 FLH
82 FLH

Re: Mallory Unilite and 12V system

Post by 63panhead » Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:15 pm

Thanks for the link Kell.

Return to “Ignition”