Problems with attachments solved: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17433

Distributor: how do i get my dist back in the right spot

All ignition related articles
papapan

Distributor: how do i get my dist back in the right spot

Post by papapan » Sat May 12, 2007 6:02 pm

Alright my 54 pan has had the dist out of it for a long time. well I was getting ready to put it back in and found the kids kicking it over so I know My mark is no longer any good, how do i get my dist back in the right spot now??

Much Respect
Pan

Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Re: Distributor: simple question

Post by Panacea » Sun May 13, 2007 3:24 am

Pan, first pull the plugs out to make it easy to spin the motor. Take the front intake pushrod tube clip off and pull down the top of the tube so you can see when the intake valve closes. Keeping an eye on the timeing mark, as the intake valve closes, put the slash in the middle of the timeing hole. Now with the breaker point follower on the big lobe, slide the housing into the case keeping the fiber follower on the big lobe. after you've done that, see if you are about in the center of the adjustment range by turning the housing back and forth to see if it goes both ways equally. If not, pull it up and adjust where you "drop in" . Then with the mark still in the center of the window use a 12 volt light bulb or a buzzer and adjust the points so they just open when you rotate the housing a tiny bit. tighten the backer plate and you are done. This should all be done with the timeing fully advanced. You will find many of this type of question answered more clearly it the panhead manual. If you have a timeing lite,and a buddy, you can start the motor and adjust the timeing at about 2000 rpm. good luck...Mike

papapan

Re: Distributor: simple question

Post by papapan » Sun May 13, 2007 5:43 pm

Thanks Mike!

Return to “Ignition”