Accel super coil with Quickstart 2000 ignition

All ignition related articles
kanders2001

Accel super coil with Quickstart 2000 ignition

Post by kanders2001 » Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:30 pm

Post by kanders2001 on May 1, 2007, 8:41pm

thinking of using accel super coil ,i have a quick start 2000 ignition that calls for a 3ohm coil witch i have now. the accel coil is 4.7 ohms will this damage my ignition . any thoughts would be helpful on this subject. thanks ken

Post by King on May 1, 2007, 9:00pm

Hi Ken

It is my understanding that the 4.7 ohm coil is designed for a points system and the 3 ohm is for electronic ignitions. However it has been posed on another thread on this site that the 4.7 ohm coil will not damage a Hall sensor type electronic ignition (like yours and mine) but the 3 ohm will perform better. I have heard that the 4.7 ohm definitely will damage those systems that use more sophist iced circuitry and chips.
While we are on the subject of coils and resistances, does anyone know the drill to check the ohm rating of coils. I tried putting my multimeter with one lead on one post and the other on the other and got an infinity reading just like you crossed the probes. Do you have to disconnect the coil from the bike?

King

Post by fourthgear on May 2, 2007, 1:29pm

King
Yes ,completely disconnect all wires from coil including the plug wires if you are going to test the secondary coil. Are you using a digital or analog meter? Why I ask is, if using an analog meter you can set it at diff. resistance levels. Primary coil term. are the 12V (+) or (6V) power supply and point or ign. term. and of course the secondary are the where the plug wires go. I believe published coil resistance is from the primary coil . You do know that a grounded wire may show up as infinity . Your speedo light is a grounded fixture and may give you a reading thru the filament , depending how you have the wiring , just a good reason to disconnect the coil before testing.

58flh
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Re: Accel super coil with Quickstart 2000 ignition

Post by 58flh » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:36 pm

kanders2001 wrote:Post by kanders2001 on May 1, 2007, 8:41pm

thinking of using accel super coil ,i have a quick start 2000 ignition that calls for a 3ohm coil witch i have now. the accel coil is 4.7 ohms will this damage my ignition . any thoughts would be helpful on this subject. thanks ken

Post by King on May 1, 2007, 9:00pm

Hi Ken

It is my understanding that the 4.7 ohm coil is designed for a points system and the 3 ohm is for electronic ignitions. However it has been posed on another thread on this site that the 4.7 ohm coil will not damage a Hall sensor type electronic ignition (like yours and mine) but the 3 ohm will perform better. I have heard that the 4.7 ohm definitely will damage those systems that use more sophist iced circuitry and chips.
While we are on the subject of coils and resistances, does anyone know the drill to check the ohm rating of coils. I tried putting my multimeter with one lead on one post and the other on the other and got an infinity reading just like you crossed the probes. Do you have to disconnect the coil from the bike?

King

Post by fourthgear on May 2, 2007, 1:29pm

King
Yes ,completely disconnect all wires from coil including the plug wires if you are going to test the secondary coil. Are you using a digital or analog meter? Why I ask is, if using an analog meter you can set it at diff. resistance levels. Primary coil term. are the 12V (+) or (6V) power supply and point or ign. term. and of course the secondary are the where the plug wires go. I believe published coil resistance is from the primary coil . You do know that a grounded wire may show up as infinity . Your speedo light is a grounded fixture and may give you a reading thru the filament , depending how you have the wiring , just a good reason to disconnect the coil before testing.
Just something to ad, fourthgear is absolutely correct!--I just did a 2000 ignition system for a good customer of mine!--As posted before the bike will run with a 4.7 or even a 5 ohm coil! #1-it wont last long (a week or 5 months-but it will fail!) & the other postings on this ignition system-(a 2 to 3 ohm coil is the best to use! you will have a system that will be trouble-free for yrs.- The only thing that could affect its potential is a bad batt. or one that is not up to specs.(holds 11-volts -a dead cell etc.). The 2000 with a 3ohm coil was run on a dyno before & after tourque & HP measured at rear-wheel!( before a stock 74 in. pan with a stock flh cam-solid-lifter-S&S-E carb.) AFTER ( everything the same but the 200 ig. added with 3ohm coil)-as far as I remember there was a HP gain of 4HP! & Tourque was relativly the same just a very minor increase-I would be wrong to give a # as I dont remember!). To me a 4HP gain with a stock cam at 4450rpm is prety good for a bolt-on part!--I forgot to mention the exhaust was open dragpipes 13/4 dia.! This was installed by myself back about 9 months ago & I spoke to my customer about a week ago on another issue & thats how I found out the info! As far as the 2000ig. the bike is a 1 or 2 kick & go!---Just wanted to give a little info on this ignition as I have not read any dyno info about it on this site!--Cheers !----58flh 8)

Return to “Ignition”