Thanks for post feature available again: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17581

Electronic ignition: want to change the points to electronic

All ignition related articles
1955fle
Bikes: 1955 FL
1973 FLH

Electronic ignition: want to change the points to electronic

Post by 1955fle » Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:32 pm

Description: I have '55 FL and want to change the points to electronic.

Post by 1955fle on Feb 24, 2007, 10:10pm

I have '55 FL and want to change the points to electronic. I was looking at QuickStsrt 2000. Has anyone used this product? Have you used a differant product? Any thoughts about this welcome. -Carl

Post by Fixman on Feb 25, 2007, 2:30pm

I installed the Quickstart on my 57 awhile back and couldn't be happier with it. I also have an electronic relay. You can't tell these items are installed by looking at the bike, and that is what I was after.

Kent

Post by King on Feb 26, 2007, 4:09pm

I'm using the unit supplied by 45 Parts Depot. I've been running it for about a year and am very pleased with its performance. Starting is much improved and overall the bike runs much better. It installs easily with no modifications and timing with the LED is a snap. It's great not to fiddle with points or wonder if your condenser is OK. It works with both 6 and 12V systems but you will need to use a coil with 3 ohms or less resistance, resistor plug wires, and resistor plugs. And like Kent says, it doesn't alter the stock appearance at all.

King

Post by 1955fle on Feb 26, 2007, 5:10pm

Thanks for the response. I think I will go with the QuickStart2000. I like the fact that they supply cloth covered wires. I will let you know how it goes.

Post by panacea on Feb 27, 2007, 3:46am

I like the timing lite on the Quick start model, think i'll go that route...King what plugs are you using? Mike

58flh
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Re: Electronic ignition: want to change the points to electr

Post by 58flh » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:27 pm

The Unilite requires 7-16 volts to work!-(must have a 12V system throughout the bike!--If your batt. is low ,as long as thiers a min. of 7VOLTS it will fire the plugs!, Your coil should be 2-3 ohm max. Anything higher like a points coil4-5 ohm will kill the module!. This is for a 2-plug head set-up!, 4 plug heads are wired diff.! Also do you have the model that has the keys for the ADV. curves?--(+ or minus 28). If bike is stock run the factory curve!!-(anything else will give you a shotgun down the road & there goes the valves!).--1-wire goes to coil, the other goes to GROUND!-(very imp. to have no paint or whatever interfere!-It heats-up the module!-so good GRND. a must!)--Make-sure nothing got melted to the barrels!--Retrace all your wires from UNILITE.---(stay with stock curve)--Also you need resistor plugs & radio suppresion wires!--just the opposite of a points system. Hope this helps!---Richie

Return to “Ignition”