Timing for another beer

All ignition related articles
panomania

Timing for another beer

Post by panomania » Sun Mar 30, 2003 2:42 pm

My ol'lady hasnt talked to me since I got her to help me set the timing on my 48. I gave her some goggles... whats the problem? Anyhow, my bike runs great out of the hole and has good passing power ( I even out ran a varago 250 the other day) but it pings like crazy if lugged at all. Ive tried retarding the timing and it starts hicupping back through the carb and when I de-excellerate (sorry Im from Alabama) it pops through the pipes. (in short, sounds like#@%*%!). Ive tried static timing her but it always comes out retarded that way. (that didnt sound right) anyhoo, my dist. is mech, with 36 through 47 knuckle style points (i dont know why) and she really likes a condenser from a small block chevy. Maybe the pinging is just her way of saying, I sorry for making you kick 37000 times this morning.

Cotten

Re: Timing for another beer

Post by Cotten » Sun Mar 30, 2003 3:13 pm

Panomania!

Pinging is deadly to a motor!

I assume if your ol' lady was getting oil-sprayed, you were using a strobe while the circuitbreaker (it ain't a distributor) was fully advanced. I normally adjust it to where you see the line in the front half of the hole, since we have P4gas around here.

What compression did you build it to? What cam?

The hiccuping out the carb is usually reversion from a rad cam (if not a minor leak!), and the popping of the exhaust is usually leaks in the pipes, often at the head. (the exhaust pipes are the ONLY place I'll use a sillycone.)

If she's that hard to start, I'd pressuretest the manifold.

Goo'luck.

panomania

Post by panomania » Sun Mar 30, 2003 3:23 pm

80 inch s&s stock bore kit, super-e, andrews "a" grind, drag pipes, about 80 pounds of cyl.pressure. good jetting, no intake leaks, only pops when timing is retarded to stop pinging. Also the plugs look lean when timing is retarded. (maybe too much heat?)

panamania

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Sun Mar 30, 2003 4:39 pm

I'll blame the "A" grind for the reversion, although I must admit that my experience with them is only enough to yank them out and shitcan them.

Your low compression reading is misleading, as the cam will not allow full pressure until you have the R's up. This means you will have to rap higher to avoid lugging, the motor: streetability is compromised for the sake of WFO accelleration. That's no problem if you have a stripped-down bike, never carry a passenger, and avoid city traffic. Maybe dropping a tooth off of your tranny sprocket would smooth it out a little.

How do you know you have no intake leaks? I assume you pressure tested it, and didn't just spray crap around it.

panomania

Post by panomania » Mon Apr 14, 2003 12:30 am

ok, i have installed a mallory distributor and a andrews j-grind this weekend and this turd on wheels still pings under the twist. im at wits end on this thing. it runs good if i dont excell too fast. everyone suggest i retard the timing a little, but that doesnt work either. my wife is keeping sharp objects away from me through this time of difficulty. any ideas or suggestions? thanks, panamania

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Mon Apr 14, 2003 1:22 am

The J grind ain't a favorite of mine either, but lets assume it lowered your octane demand to where it shouldn't ping on 93 premium (as if it were really 93!....)
Could we be mistaking a valve noise or something else for "pinging"? (We must be certain to eliminate all variables, if we're gonna figger this out.

By 'pinging', do you mean it will clack clack clack away from stopsign if you lug it?
If so,... yep that's pre-detonation,...and it's bad. How did you get your compression so high?

Ultimately you may wish to drop a bunch of teeth of of your sprockets to get you into a better powerband to avoid lugging.

MUTT

Post by MUTT » Mon Apr 28, 2003 3:52 am

I may be stupid but did you try to retard your timing a little at a time? Its worth a shot.

Return to “Ignition”