Ignition timing

All ignition related articles

Ignition timing

Postby Sidecar » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:57 pm

Description: I'm here at work and I think descovered two problems

Post by Sidecar on Mar 26, 2004, 3:34pm

I'm here at work and I think descovered two problems. Maybe one of you can straighten me out.

I was looking at my H-D manual, at home last night, and I swear it said "to advance timing, turn counter-clock-wise". I am looking at the Clymer manual now and it say's "to advance timing, turn clockwise".

Do any of you have both of these books that you can look at ???

Most of you know that I'm running a replica 48 with an S&S motor.
I couldn't figure out why my timing was so far advanced when set to spec. It was way too far. I had to retard it after I rode it. It turns out that you can not use the front cylinder firing mark in the center of the hole to set the timing correctly. It has to be set with the mark leaving the hole at the left side. Now I know why I had problems with timing !!!!

Live and learn, I guess...................

Post by dirtydistrict on Mar 26, 2004, 4:49pm

Sidecar, use a strobe light; if you static time your engine it doesn't take care about lash with parts, you will find out a difference of several degrees between static and dynamic timing.
second point: there's two "school", some says you must have your timing mark in the center when others says it must be on the edge of the hole (right or left; can't remember); anyway, you can't be wrong with a strobe light.

Post by 2dogs on Mar 26, 2004, 10:12pm

Sidecar: The timer base, circuit breaker base, whatever you want to call it, is rotated counter-clockwise to advance timing.

Incidentally, since my 63FL (sort of) is a "being-assembled-from-many-various-parts bike", basically a rat-chopper project, I went ahead and installed a used OEM 1965 auto-advance timer. I don't have a strobe so I set it best I could using timing marks and a 12V-bulb-and-alligator-clips timing light. Runs great on the frame but hasn't hit the ground yet, and probably won't for a while.

Post by haggis on Mar 27, 2004, 5:11am

sidecar... do yourself a favor and install an auto advance breaker...line up the timing mark centre hole , twist the cam clockwise for full advance, set the gap and you are done, Haggis

Post by 2dogs on Mar 28, 2004, 2:26am

Hey, haggis: I'm running an auto advance distributor and I didn't have quite that easy a time setting the timing. But then I haven't learned all the old tricks yet. In fact some days, like today, I don't think I've learned Jack Sh-- about this '63FL project.

And Sidecar, not to be confused, he's talking about twisting the [breaker] cam clockwise, throwing the weights out to the fully advanced position on an auto-advance timer.
Sidecar

Return to Ignition