New feature added: Topic solved

Ignition timing

All ignition related articles
Sidecar

Ignition timing

Post #1 by Sidecar » Fri Mar 26, 2004 4:34 pm

I'm here at work and I think discovered two problems. Maybe one of you can straighten me out.

I was looking at my H-D manual, at home last night, and I swear it said "to advance timing, turn counter-clock-wise". I am looking at the Clymer manual now and it say's "to advance timing, turn clockwise".

Do any of you have both of these books that you can look at ???

Most of you know that I'm running a replica 48 with an S&S motor.
I couldn't figure out why my timing was so far advanced when set to spec. It was way too far. I had to retard it after I rode it. It turns out that you can not use the front cylinder firing mark in the center of the hole to set the timing correctly. It has to be set with the mark leaving the hole at the left side. Now I know why I had problems with timing !!!!

Live and learn, I guess...................

dirtydistrict
Bikes: 2010 road king at the moment. Won't last long

Re: Ignition timing

Post #2 by dirtydistrict » Fri Mar 26, 2004 4:49 pm

Sidecar, use a strobe light; if you static time your engine it doesn't take care about lash with parts, you will find out a difference of several degrees between static and dynamic timing.
second point: there's two "school", some says you must have your timing mark in the center when others says it must be on the edge of the hole (right or left; can't remember); anyway, you can't be wrong with a strobe light.

2dogs
Bikes: 1963 FL motor in 1965 frame with an assembly of other old and replica parts.

Post #3 by 2dogs » Fri Mar 26, 2004 10:12 pm

Sidecar: The timer base, circuit breaker base, whatever you want to call it, is rotated counter-clockwise to advance timing.

Incidentally, since my 63FL (sort of) is a "being-assembled-from-many-various-parts bike", basically a rat-chopper project, I went ahead and installed a used OEM 1965 auto-advance timer. I don't have a strobe so I set it best I could using timing marks and a 12V-bulb-and-alligator-clips timing light. Runs great on the frame but hasn't hit the ground yet, and probably won't for a while.

haggis

Post #4 by haggis » Sat Mar 27, 2004 5:11 am

sidecar... do yourself a favor and install an auto advance breaker...line up the timing mark centre hole , twist the cam clockwise for full advance, set the gap and you are done, Haggis

2dogs
Bikes: 1963 FL motor in 1965 frame with an assembly of other old and replica parts.

Post #5 by 2dogs » Sun Mar 28, 2004 2:26 am

Hey, haggis: I'm running an auto advance distributor and I didn't have quite that easy a time setting the timing. But then I haven't learned all the old tricks yet. In fact some days, like today, I don't think I've learned Jack Sh-- about this '63FL project.

And Sidecar, not to be confused, he's talking about twisting the [breaker] cam clockwise, throwing the weights out to the fully advanced position on an auto-advance timer.

Return to “Ignition”