Spark issue

All ignition related articles
Fish

Spark issue

Post by Fish » Fri Mar 05, 2004 11:18 pm

Description: When I kick it, all looks right, but no fire.

Been reading these pages for sometime. Very helpful. My 64 is 600 miles into a rebuild. I figured it was running rich with its Super E, but now I think its just plugs. If I pull 'em and clean 'em, its fires by second kick. Broke a plug, pulled some out of my ironhead just to get going, but fouls big time. When I kick it, all looks right, but no fire. If I push it, I lose all my dash lights. Like there is no juice going anywhere. Lots of soot across the entire plug, like its not hot enough. Ran great at speed (under 60), but idling seems to build up soot until it just fouls and then nothing. Im lost. Also, how far do I screw the plugs in without a torque wrench into alum heads? Thanks, and I will be offering my help for others if I can. One more thing, its cold (30's) here in Korea. Maybe air is giving the need for hotter plugs.

57Kicker

Re: Spark issue

Post by 57Kicker » Sat Mar 06, 2004 3:57 am

Hotter Plug (just a guess)

kell

Post by kell » Sat Mar 06, 2004 6:36 am

Kind of hard to get the gist from your description.
Charge the battery before you attempt to start the bike.
Put clean plugs in and get it running. Then lean out the idle until it has just enough gas to run. Rich idle is a big cause of fouling. I found that my plugs foul if the idle is even an eighth of a turn more than it needs to run. Also you need to look at how much the accelerator pump is squirting, try turning it down till the stream doesn't stay solid but turns into little drops.
Keep a real good eye on how well your battery keeps a charge. You could have a bad voltage regulator (or genny) and it will give you headaches until you find it out. Did you say your lights have been going?
You don't need much torque on plugs. They have a washer that squishes. You can kind of feel them give. The manufacturers say not to reuse a plug because the washers will have been flattened by the first use, but that's just corporate wankers talking.
Try going to non-resistor plugs. When it comes to starting, fouling inhibits a resistor plug much worse than a non-resistor plug.

Fish

Post by Fish » Sun Mar 07, 2004 1:30 am

Also, and maybe most important, I had the bike idling for and extended period, (below the charging rpms). Thats when it started to get rough. The last day it ran, I was riding to work in the snow, and figure something got wet that shouldnt have. It is stock type coil, Mallory billet ignition. I am leaning towards the coil. The plugs are wet with fuel (harley #3), and I am sure there is no spark. Is the best bet the coil, or is the way gens are wired, if it got wet, a contributing factor? Could it start anyway with a bad gen? What should the coil read in ohms? Any other tricks to figuring this out?
Thanks to anyone with any ideas. I am stuck.

To reply to the replies. Thanks all. Heres extra info.
New plugs. gapped right.
New battery. The old one was drained. (makes me lean towards gen.) But with a good,strong battery, can a bad gen keep it from sparking?
Lights strong with new battery.
Still no spark. Remember, bike got real wet. I am leaning towards the genny or coil.
Starting to feel old and forgetful. Guess thats why the kids pick evo's.

mbskeam

Post by mbskeam » Sun Mar 07, 2004 2:39 am

hello, first thing is get a multimeter. then start with the basics .with the ign on does coil have voltage, if not check for bad wire or wires.it could be a bad coil as I had mine lose 1 side last summer ,bike ran on front cyl only. of course it was on the day i'm 75 miles from home on the il of vashon motorcycle rally. neat fun!check over ign good. when you get it running check the charging sytem it should be 1.5 -2 volts over batt voltage .when the batt is fully charged butt bike is not running. ref. 13.5 to14.5 depending on your reg you have. Have fun, as we all know how much fun trouble shooting electrical can be. Mbskeam ps: check ign wire leeds into coil as they can get wet in there also. ;D

Fish

Post by Fish » Sun Mar 07, 2004 4:12 am

Appreciate the inputs. There is only one other pan over here, and it has been scabbed to pieces just to keep it running (owned by a Korean, this is Korea) so I am on my own. All help is appreciated. I've got the tools, if I can't get it going today, I will truck it back (about 30 min. away) and get out the hair dryer and start fresh at the beginning.
Again, thanks all,
Fish

mbskeam

Post by mbskeam » Sun Mar 07, 2004 4:24 am

hello, is this 12 v?if it is you might use 2 auto coils for testing.1 for the front cyl and the other for the back, use jumper wires to hook it all up , that is how i tested too make sure it was my coil that was really bad. Mbskeam

Fish

Post by Fish » Sun Mar 07, 2004 6:18 am

Yup, 12 v. Never used auto coils before. Sounds like a good test. Its behind a garage now, so lots of auto stuff around. No trouble to score coils. I will stay with the thread. This may be of help later to others. Its a pretty good one. Electricals always are.

Thanks '57 Kicker, Kell, and Mbskeam.

Fish

Post by Fish » Sun Mar 07, 2004 1:23 pm

Fish is up again. Wet coil. The box coil is just a magnet/funnel for h2o. I had it in a garage for a day. Attacked it with the ole ladys hair dryer. It fired up, fourth kick, spittin' black all over the place. After fifteen minutes on the road, good as.....good as good. It was extreme moisture all up in her. Which is good, 'cept on a pan. I will be sealing her up much better this time around.
Thanks to all. If any questions come around I can help on, I'll reply.
If in Korea (Osan AB), find Fish, I own Smoke "N" Darts (Cuban cigars and darts) and a mild mannered club called VooDoo. I'll show you the town.
Cool.........

Return to “Ignition”