Points gap

All ignition related articles
haggis

Points gap

Post by haggis » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:34 pm

Description: Was it .018 or .022 for a 12 volt breaker?

Post by haggis on Feb 4, 2004, 12:49am

Refresh my memory...was it .018 or .022 for a 12 volt breaker? Haggis
( single point auto)

Post by 57stroker on Feb 4, 2004, 2:28am

Use a new, clean, white business card.

Post by kell on Feb 4, 2004, 4:42am

Clymer gives .022 for pan breakers, manual or auto advance. No indication that a 12 volt system requires a different points gap.
I got my caliper and wallet and measured some bidness cards and a lot of them measure about half that. So if people get good results from such a wide range of settings then you have a lot of leeway.

Post by 57stroker on Feb 5, 2004, 3:47am

This is from a thread a while back "The manual says .018" to .022". The Shovel guys running points tell me .014" to .016" is more like it. The bike would run good, start ok, but at mid-throttle it would buck and surge. I would swear at my Andrews A-grind and check the timing. Finally, I spoke to a retired Harley mechanic that had been wrenching for 50 years. He told me the only way to set my points is with a new business card. He said that in broad daylight, you should NOT see any arcing from your points. At night, you should see a faint blue arc occasinally. If you see them arcing more than this, your gap is too wide or your condenser is shot. I miked a few business cards and most of them are only .010" to .012" thick. I followed his advise and all my bucking and surging problems went away. Of course, your milage may vary....."

Swan
Bikes: panhead
Moto Guzzi Mk 1 Le Mans

Re: Points gap

Post by Swan » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:52 am

Business card didn't work for me, motor started and ran terrible, gapped to 20 thou and ran much better tho when advanced it cuts out..have timed it a few times without much luck, what am I doing wrong?

Return to “Ignition”