New Quick Start 2000 ignition

All ignition related articles
toolscum

New Quick Start 2000 ignition

Post by toolscum » Sun Nov 09, 2003 11:34 pm

Description: I have a new Quick Start 2000 ignition I am going to install next weekend. Any pointers?

I also have a new Quick Start 2000 ignition I'm going to install next weekend. Any pointers?

kell

Re: New Quick Start 2000 ignition

Post by kell » Tue Nov 11, 2003 3:38 am

I checked out the QS2K, didn't get one but am willing to put my 2 cents in anyway. I've put in electronic points-replacement units, one (the "Pertronix Ignitor") on an old 70's beater of a car, and I put an electronic ingition (not the QS2K) in a panhead. I guess it's possible to mess it up, but you would have to be really inattentive to do so. Just follow the instructions. The unit runs on a very simple principle. There's a collar with two magnets in it, and you slip it on to the points cam. The part that screws down on the base plate, where your points are now, has a hall effect sensor in it that detects the presence of the magnets as they spin around. That triggers the circuit that conducts the current from the coil to ground, so it's just a transistorized circuit that does the same thing points do.

Return to “Ignition”