Thanks for post feature available again: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17581

Magneto Information

All ignition related articles

Magneto Information

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:00 am

Ok,

Hopefully there are some here who are knowledgeable with Magnetos. I just purchased a used Morris for the Panhead. It did not come with any literature, and I have gone to Morris's site and downloaded what they have, but it is pretty skimpy. I want to eliminate the battery and generator. Can I do that with just a mag?
Does anyone have any information like a manual or something available for downloading? Help!!!

steve_wood
Bikes: 56 FLH, 2007 FLHRCI

Post by steve_wood » Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:23 am

Nope. The magneto generates the high voltages needed to produce a spark, but that's all it does. You still need a generator or alternator to produce electricity for your lights and horn (and battery if you have one).

Check out an old sportster service manual for a typical magneto/generator electrical system. Some of the XLCH models didn't have a battery.

If you want to use a magneto anyways just to replace your coil, they're dead easy - the only connections are the spark plug wires and a kill switch.

steve

steve_wood
Bikes: 56 FLH, 2007 FLHRCI

Post by steve_wood » Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:59 pm

Here's a wiring chart for a 65 XLCH. Note how the magneto stuff is independent from everything else.
Attachments
Wiring Diagram - 1965 XLCH - v3.pdf
(149.82 KiB) Downloaded 139 times

Return to “Ignition”