Problems with attachments solved: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17433

Distributor: has anyone seen one like this

All ignition related articles
03Roadking

Distributor: has anyone seen one like this

Post by 03Roadking » Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:34 pm

Hello Again
I am stuck This is a 62 panhead with what I was told was a 64 single point auto advance But when I get out my books to time it there are no marks to line up not on the base plate or the top of the cam I have taken the base plate off and looked every where. can some one tell me how to line this up or should I junk it???

Billy

Re: Distributor: has anyone seen one like this

Post by Billy » Sun May 01, 2005 5:32 am

03-
Interesting timer, never saw one w/cir-clip in the cam top-shaft. Or bolts holding down the base top(always nuts) Maybe Aftermarket ?? Don't know ???

Anyhow the "Narrow Lobe" is for the front cyl, mark should be there. (I think I see it in pic) not sure ? No matter, That lobe is the one you need to 'Static time it"
Bring the motor up on Front cyl compression stroke, this is just after front intake valve closes! & watch in timer window (under vin pad) & get your 'vertical mark' visable in window, slightly toward the rear. Then check your AA-auto-adv. timer. Place a thin piece of paper between the point contacts. Narrow lobe should just be beginning to open points (observed by paper sliding 'freely', due to points just barely opening. Hard to see by eye !!! If not, loosen -nut & turn timer till it's right. Timer rotation is Clockwise, so you want to be just before that point of rotation...

A "Test light is very effective, if you have. But the paper works very well...too.

Only marks on timer bases are for "manual advances."
So forget about looking for those.

Hope this helps.. Your manual will have detail also.. ;)

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Sat May 07, 2005 1:13 pm

I believe it was one of the late-1980s aftermarket units that used common chubble advancecams and weights.

So the dwell and advance curve would be different than the OEMs from '65 to '69, but I guess they work.

03Roadking

Post by 03Roadking » Sat May 14, 2005 9:40 pm

I want to thank Billy and Cotten for all there help if it wasn't for them and this site I would still be kicking my Pan and trying to figure out where I can come up with enough money to buy a plane ticket so I can go kick the crap out of the guy that sold me this bike
As it turned out Billy had the key remark I sat looking at the points and then I saw it, the guy had the cam lobe set to the back cylinder I pulled the two bolts holding the plate, lifted that up took the clip off the auto advance picked it up turned it 180 put the c clip back put the plate back, followed Billy and Cotten's instructions on timing it. choked it, twist the throttle three times kicked it twice, turned the key and the first kick she came alive surprised me so much I almost jumped off. I tuned the carb a little and took off down the street got three blocks from home and it died thought I was dead looked down saw the choke closed, opened it, kicked it twice and she fired right up. I tell ya I'm as giddy as a school girl on prom night
THANKS AGAIN

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Mon May 16, 2005 1:07 am

Even after all the uncounted machines I've rebuilt, it still amazes me beyond belief when they kick off like they never stopped running.

Harleys would have been extinct generations ago if they were as difficult as we make ourselves believe they are.

We are the difficult aspect, as we are all our own worst enemy.
The machines only require patience, attention, and a sack o' money. That's why they are always referred to as "She".

(I would apologize for the sexist remarks,... but as Homer Simpson said: "There's only so many times I can say I'm sorry and still mean it.")

03Roadking

Post by 03Roadking » Mon May 16, 2005 2:07 am

I hate to be a pest but I tried to do something today that I still can't figure out with this distributor
It goes like this I have a running panhead between my legs(let me finish) in my left hand I have a timing light in my right I have a distributor I am nose to needle with the speedo NOW what ?????
Do you lay on your back and reach under and around
I can't hold the light and look thru the timing plug and touch the distributor, is this a two man job or I'm I just not seeing this like I should
Thanks again to anyone who answers

03Roadking

Post by 03Roadking » Mon May 16, 2005 2:11 am

I was just staring at my own question and I had a thought can you use a mirror??? would that work

03Roadking

Post by 03Roadking » Mon May 16, 2005 6:36 pm

Billy
the book says that the mark should be straight up and down in the window So you say it should be just to the right of center with the timing light on it? Same location as I did to get it started the first time by turning the engine over by hand??
And yes I have a big fan one of those 42" blasters I have been using it.

03Roadking

Post by 03Roadking » Sun May 22, 2005 10:04 pm

I guess this is going to be a long up hill battle I have worked on this for 6 weekends just trying to do two things 1. Set the timing and 2. set up the carb I have rebuilt the carb twice (Bendix) the first time five weeks ago but as I tried to work with it I noticed the throttle shaft was hanging up so I decided to rebuild it again I found that I caught one of the seals when I pushed it in. So the carb being rebuilt I pressure tested the manifold again just to be sure and it's good, I set it as billy suggested both screws 2 1/4 turns out I went back and static timed it one more time to be sure. After a few kicks it fired up, I set the idle at about 900 rpm while I adjusted the idle screw and main jet. I turned up the idle to 2000 rpm and tried to adjust the distributor with a timing light but when I turned it one way it started to die when I turned it the other, the motor rpm jumped up to 4000 rpm so I turned it back the other way and the rpm went back down But I did not see the timing mark when I moved it in either direction. now comes the funny part It died. So I kicked it about a dozen times, after that I decided to start all over again so I static timed it and set the carb 2 1/4 turns out. now if I kick it I can't touch the throttle or it floods if I just turn the key on and kick it, it pops from the pipes like it's going to start but if I touch the throttle it's dead. I let it set for 2 hours and tried to cold start it, three twists with the choke on kick twice take the choke off turn the key and kick it but nothing if I let it set for a few minuets then kick it with out touching the throttle it pops from the pipes like it going to start but if I touch the throttle its flooded??
Anybody??

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Sun May 22, 2005 10:52 pm

Aren't you glad yo do not do this for a living?

I an not a Bendix guru (is the plural Bendixes or Bendices?),
but the stalling is most likely a fouled pug from the trial and error of your tuning process. It has added insult to agony, and your capacity for patience shall be tested to the limit.

Clean the plugs (properly) and try to get back to the stage where turning the circuitbreaker increased the idle. Try to leave it at it's highest idle until you temper it down at the carb idle adjustment. Find a 'sweetspot', and then put a strobe on the timing inpection hole to dial it in to your best perfection.
If bizarre troubles persist, there must be something else wrong.

kell

Post by kell » Mon May 23, 2005 4:07 pm

Using static timing you can get your bike timed to run quite well. But not if you do it with the timing retarded, which is where it will be by default when the bike is not running. The timing mark on the flywheel is for advance. Did you lock the breaker in full advance position to do the static timing procedure?
Other than that I think your probs have to do with flooding and such.
I'll tell you about something happened to me not long after I bought my bike and didn't know beans about the carb.
I let a mechanic do some work on it. Picked it up from their shop. This guy was kind of a know-it-all. I started the bike, then sat on it for about fifteen seconds with the engine running. He said, "It doesn't take that long for these engines to warm up," and came over, reached for the carb and did something. I didn't think anything of it at the time... however, later the bike started running like TOTAL CRAP.
After much headache I found out the guy had twisted the mixture screw so the bike was running way too rich. But at the time I didn't even know where the mixture screw was, so you can imagine the frustrations I went through for days, not having a clue what was wrong.
So I know how you're feeling.

03Roadking

Post by 03Roadking » Tue May 24, 2005 2:30 am

thanks for the help I will try again Saturday Not to whine (because I hate whiners) but my biggest problem and the most maddening is my leg I have been down twice on a bike (both times it was the cager at fault) I have been in four car accidents two of them were roll overs (wasn't the driver) and each time I took a bad hit to my legs now after five or six kicks I have to rest about the third set of kicks I'm looking for the aspirin and vicoden by the end of the day I set with ice on my leg and stare at that hunk of iron mocking me. they want to do surgery but they say I might not be able to kick a bike so I'm putting it off for as long as I can. Well I vented now, and I'm sure there are a lot of you out there with bigger or worst problems I will start planing Saturdays attack I will look for the book on the carb in the mean time I think what I will try is turning the idle screw in about a turn and kick it to see if it will start at an idle at least if it runs I can try and figure out the carb

Post by Guest » Tue May 24, 2005 11:05 pm

You are not alone, many riders have some proof of riding for decades, I do. (scars, broke bones or whatever

You will get your Pan adjusted good just take your time.
This board has helped me lots even from behind the scenes.

Hang in there dude.

03Roadking

Post by 03Roadking » Thu May 26, 2005 1:26 am

I need some input, as you know I am having trouble with the timing and the carb. Well I ordered one of those ignition systems from 45 parts depot the one that replaces your points and condenser seeing how I am at the point that I only have it static timed right now, I read the instructions and it say that is the starting point for the installation. So my question is should I put it on now or go to all the trouble setting the dist and carb and then install it after I know it's running
any and all 2 cents???

Red55FL
Bikes: 1955 FL on a 54 frame
2012 Heritage Softail Classic

Post by Red55FL » Thu May 26, 2005 3:41 am

It is not a good idea to add another variable to the mix. Get the bike running and tuned with what you have, then make additional changes. That way, if the change gives you trouble, you know it was right before the change. If you change the ignition system & can't get it running, you won't know if it is the new ignition system or the same problem that you had before. Set the timing, adjust the carburetor, get it running properly before changing anything else. You might find that there is another problem causing this (intake leak, bad component in the ignition system, etc).
Trouble shooting needs to be systematic. Change only one thing at a time, that way you know whether or not the change helped or hurt the problem.

Just my opinion, for what it is worth
Red

Return to “Ignition”