Timing: the easiest way

All ignition related articles
Chopperfrank

Timing: the easiest way

Post by Chopperfrank » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:55 pm

Post by Chopperfrank on Nov 1, 2005, 9:45pm

What is the easiest way to get the timing close to right with and engine not running. For example. The mark on the flywheel. Should that be in the center of the inspection hole when the points just start to open?

I have a 1960 pan motor with an auto advance, single points timer.

Thanks

Post by Ding on Nov 1, 2005, 10:26pm

Along with the mark in the window you have to make sure that the front cylinder has both valves closed. Best done while rolling the mill and keeping a couple of fingers on the pushrods. Once both rods are down (valves closed) then move to the window and center the mark.

Then, because you have an auto advance, you have to fully advance your points. Then set the points in accordance with the manufacturer.

Should be done there after closing everything up. Fire it up and use a lite to fine tune it.

Ding

Post by 03Roadking on Nov 3, 2005, 2:09am

Chopper
If you have an old clearance light or tail light bulb With the wires attached. Take the timing plug out. pull you plugs and pull the front intake push rod tube, set your points, make sure they are gapped right Then turn the engine over slowly until you see the front intake push rod close, then look into the timing hole and continue to turn the engine over (Slowly) until you see the timing mark make sure you have the right mark Mine (62) has F for front and R for rear you want the front line to center then loosen your timer, attach the positive wire from the light to your points (alligator clip) and the other wire ground to the engine, turn the key on. The hard part is you have to hold the auto advance in the full advance position as you turn the timer slowly to the left or right What you want is the light to just come on at full advance Once you have it, lock down the timer then just turn the auto advance to full if the light comes on at full advance you got it if it comes on before you reach full advance or not at all you have to try it again This should get you started after that a timing light should be used to dial it in like Ding said

58flh
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Re: Timing: the easiest way

Post by 58flh » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:40 pm

BOTH ARE VERY GOOD ways of setting timing!--I never used a Timing light in my life on a V-twin motor with one crankpin!--Heres HOW to get ABSOLUTE TDG in the front jug!---Raise the rear wheel off the ground an inch!--Pull the plugs!, now pull the inspection hole nut. Put bike in second & telescope the front tubes!. Use 2-clothspins to hold them up so you can see the pushrods move!---Spin motor by using the WHEEL!!!--By doing it like this there is no guesses on true TDC.!. When both valves are closed , go to other side & look for the line in the hole!--It will be coming up!, So bumping the rear wheel when close will help in not overshooting the mark!. If you over shoot DO NOT GO BACK!. Do it over & get the line to center of hole!--(I know your thinking why not use the kicker?)-This is why!--By using the rear wheel you take-up all the lash in both chains & gearcase, your setting to TDC by getting it there under a load!. This takes all the play from the Timer, CAM, IDLER, PINION, etc. ITS a True TDC. AS you can get!. NOW get your points set to .022, hook-up a teatlight to the points & advance the timer & move the plate till the points just break!-(the light will come on as that small of an opening you cant see!). You can use a voltmeter to, I like the light cause I can catch it in my eyes while paying att. to the adv. on the timer & movtng the plate at the same time!. NOW lock the plate screws & recheck for .022 on both lobes, you may have to tweak this because plates get warped & the #s change!--Then check for the light again at full advance!. If it comes on your DONE!--The bike will fire in 1-kick & you will notice how much crisper throttle response will be!--(hint)--I use a points plate that is Laser etched both ways! ADV. & RET.!--IF you want to ADV. the timing you can do it accurately without a light!--The plates are cheap!--$20 & come with 2-screws that are easier to reach the back one!.--I have gave a full explanation & once you do this 2 or 3 times --you will see its soooo easy , Im done & running in 20 min. or less!--& that includes changing points & cond.!---You can try a light with the curve feature, BUT YOU wont see the mark good enuff & those magnyfier scrapers just fill with oil & its over!. TRY IT ,YOU will LOVE this WAY of setting up your bike!---RICHIE 8)

mike white
Bikes: 1962 flh

Post by mike white » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:58 am

when turning rear wheel to find timing mark do you spin it same direction as it spins going down the road? thanks, mike

RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:33 am

when turning rear wheel to find timing mark do you spin it same direction as it spins going down the road? thanks, mike
Yes, you do. If you go too far you can spin backwards but you need to go far enough so that you once again spin forward enough to take all the lash out of the timing gears.

PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL custom
58 FL
76 FLH All Original

Post by PanPal » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:18 pm

The motor turns the wheel. so, I would think you roll the tire backwards to load the gear backlash as it would be when running. going forward the last things you are pulling along are the crank and breather gear, but that is backlash in the wrong direction.

mike white

Post by mike white » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:04 pm

so what your saying is turn tire opposite direction that it turns rolling down the road?

PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL custom
58 FL
76 FLH All Original

Post by PanPal » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:43 pm

No I am wrong! the wheel would have to be turned forward to get the backlash out for the best timing results. by turning the wheel the first thing turned is the flywheel which takes the backlash out of the cam chest as it does when running. Sorry for adding confusion. Sometimes I think too much.

mike white

Post by mike white » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:25 am

hey guys ive got 62 flh, going with Mallory elect. ignition. question is I have 3 marks on flywheel. one is line with f, one is line with r, & one is dot. which one do I put in timing hole to drop dist. in ? thanks, mike

Return to “Ignition”