Joe Hunt magneto compatible for 61"

All ignition related articles
Pegtooth

Joe Hunt magneto compatible for 61"

Post by Pegtooth » Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:46 am

Could anyone tell me if a Joe Hunt mag for a 74' would be compatible for a 1948 61"

Could anyone tell me if a Joe Hunt mag for a 74' would be compatible for a '48 61". thank you.

mbskeam

Re: Joe Hunt magneto

Post by mbskeam » Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:01 am

hello,
It will fit if you cut OFF the regulator boss on the case, and I think a few fins come off the front head.
If all depends on what you are going for . This is the reason I have not tryed a mag myself. I cant seam to be able to chop away.
mbskeam

suicideshovel65

Post by suicideshovel65 » Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:29 am

Hi,

Someone has previously ground away at my relay boss, and I wish they hadn't. I have seen a pic somewhere on the internut that showed a pan with what looked like the magneto from a car - or perhaps another brand of motorcycle magneto that seemed to have fit fine without any grinding to the cases.
Sorry I can't point you in the direction of the pic, but if someone's done it, maybe smarter heads than mine can give advice.

Cheers,

S.

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:17 pm

The Joe Hunt on my '49 required not only the boss to be removed (back when cases were cheap and easy), but the mag body and cap had to be relieved for the front pushrod cover as well.

Add the fact that there is no provision to retard it for starting, it isn't desireable for anything but a bump-start competition machine.

Pegtooth

Post by Pegtooth » Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:45 am

Thank you gentlemen ,one and all! I'll stick to the distributor I've got and attempt to wire this poor old Pan now. Appreciate all your help, and thanks Cotten; need easier starting if possible!!

Pegtooth

Post by Pegtooth » Sun Jan 09, 2005 4:59 am

At a show today. Builder had a Hunt mag on his knuck with NO modofication whatsoever i.e. grinding or fin removal. last thing he wanted was to remove or alter boss. Does this sound exclusive to Knucks? Thank you all for help,input , and advice. Craig

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Sun Jan 09, 2005 2:43 pm

Perhaps Hunt has perfected their design over the years?

Traditionally they used a Fairbanks-Morse housing, and the clearance was even worse for Knucks with shorter barrells.

Let's hope they developed an advance mechanism as well!

chuck58pan

Post by chuck58pan » Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:52 pm

morris magneto model mm74e big twin 36-69 advances and retards no fin or pushrod chopping. doesn't mention hacking-off the boss for the relay ;trumpet horn and cable clamp.$809.95

dj

Post by dj » Sun Oct 16, 2005 12:12 am

COTTON,

""""""Add the fact that there is no provision to retard it for starting, it isn't desireable for anything but a bump-start competition machine. """"""

I take most everything you say as gospel, but this is the deepest bullshit line I've ever seen you write. Perhaps its because of your intimate experience with stock ignitions,
BUT......my basic Joe Hunt does have provision for retard, and it is definitely a riders luxury. It's no different from a stock timer which must be retarded to start and advanced to run....sans left hand spiral control. If my entire lighting system takes a crap, which is dependant on the reliability of the Cycle Electrics generator, I can still get home (carefully and dangerously). A dead battery or FUBAR generator is of little consequence.

Although I was initially wary of magnetoes, I am totally SOLD on them. Auto advance Morris would be the ultimate riders luxury.

But..........If one were to find a decent Joe Hunt case, and send it to Buck @ http://www.goblinmillworx.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for a total rework, you would not only save money compared to a brand new unit, but also be very happy with how your engine runs with it. The biggest mistake you could make with a magneto, is thinking that you could find an old tired one, and have it perform.

And....which I will probly do in the future, add a battery to the charging/lighting system, and the dimming of the lights at low idle will be totally eliminated. The ignition remains independant and the spark gets hotter as the rpm's rise.

Granted, a battery dependant points/coil ignition draws less current than the lights, but you are still at the mercy of your battery...

My system starts three kicks cold, one kick hot....Almost every time....and runs like "LOCOMOTIVE BREATH"...........Gawna na gaw gaw gunk!!! chunka chunka chunka chunk. Gawna na gaw gaw gunk. chunka chunka chunka chunck...............

Cutting off the boss and shaving the fins almost seems criminal, but the previous owner had already done this...and the magneto he installed seriously needed a rebuild. The biggest hassle is having to reach down to retard and advance it once its started.

Regarding pegtooths original question.....why not? with the necessary mods.

My 2 cents on magnetos.

Billy

Post by Billy » Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:24 am

Just for the record, Morris makes a Nice set-up,
called an "G5 Impulse Mag", for '36-'69 BT
Fully auto adv & retard. Different than a regular Mag, in that it has a separate base & spins the timer shaft backwards.
http://www.morrismagneto.com/products.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

These require NO clearancing & work very well.
I have installed a couple of these & they are Sweet!!

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Sun Oct 16, 2005 1:46 pm

DJ!

Call it deep BS if you wish, but kicking a properly timed bike with no means of retarding it will soon change your mind.

If it doesn't kick back, it ain't timed.

dj

Post by dj » Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:35 am

Your last statement is an absolutely true statement, but the point is that all magnetos can be made to retard, be it manually or automatic. I am assuming that kickback is exactly what would happen if I tried if I tried to start it in the advanced position, but I've never done that and I will try it soon. (just for kicks).

The bottom surface of the old Joe Hunt magneto base mates flat with the face that the original timer base mates to, and the unit is held somewhat snugly with a bent washer and screw in the original timer base hole in the case, but the entire unit is free to turn for the provision to retard and advance by hand.

Changing the subject: According to Buck, the best spark plugs to use with a magneto for Panheads are Autolite 4275's (these are short reach threads for Panheads). Not real easy to find locally, but I ordered 12 pair from NAPA. And always use non-resistor type 7mm or 8mm wires. And the plastic TEMPCO magneto caps, (see-thru or otherwise) and paper gaskets that are available are junk. Use a bakelite cap and a cork/neoprene gasket.

dj

Post by dj » Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:18 pm

Cotton,

Didn't mean for it to sound like a personal attack. I'm sober now and have taken my medication.

High regards,

DJ

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:48 am

My skin is thick so don't worry about it.
But I cannot find any references to a wave washer or any friction device sold with Joe Hunt mags, athough they certainly needed it.
Mine have counterbores for a seal or o-ring.

But even a means of allowing the unit to move does not give positive timing. There must be an adjustable stop at full advance. (Head fins don't count.)

(On my project, I installed an adjustable set screw supported from one of the hacksawed relay mount holes.)

dj

Post by dj » Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:02 pm

The bent washer I use for a clamp is part # DIY-101, heh heh. Actually it was already there.
Yes it should have some kind of seal on the bottom. Some, but very little oil gets out.

It seems that the previous owner used the exhaust pipe for a forward positive stop. The TEMCO plastic cap was melted thru. No good. I'm very careful for now, and I've been thinking of doing something similar to what you said. Some kind of small bracket with a set screw attached to the relay mount hole, in my case the horn mount. For now, I set it forward enough to run good by sound and feel at operating speed, without hitting the exhaust, by all means. You've reminded me that I need to address a positive forward stop and time it there soon.

Return to “Ignition”