Distributor: trouble removing

All ignition related articles
Panzer

Distributor: trouble removing

Post by Panzer » Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:15 am

Hi folks,

After a riding and keeping the pan alive for almost ten years, I got into a "down period" last summer. Could'nt find the strenght to work on that old pan anymore... So I took some time of from it (and this forum), and voila, now the feeling is back!

At the end of last summer I got an oil leak at the base of the front cylinder. And now I was thinking to get it fixed. So I pulled the head, and was thinking of removing the distributor, in order to make some room to reach that particular bolt (cylinder nut).... but I'm only able to get the distributor approx 1 inch up before it get stuck!

The distributor is a Taiwan part with automatic advance... Any one have any idea of why it gets stuck? Could it be the O-ring??

I'm gonna take a look at it this weekend, and if I have to I will remove the timing cover, and take a look.

I would also be very happy if I could get any advices on how to torque the cylinder and head bolts. There is not exactely much space there! How do you guys solve that problem, and what kind of tools would you recomend?

I'll apriciate all help given!

Panzer

PS! Tried to use the "search" function, but it didnt work.

ups, I forgot to mention that my pan is a 1959 FLH.

Panzer

57pan

Re: Distributor: trouble removing

Post by 57pan » Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:12 pm

Panzer,

I'm not sure why the circuit breaker won't come out. But in order to torque the cylinder base nuts and head bolts you need a curved wrench like the one shown below. Get a good one. The picture shows the cheap one that I bought before it broke. I ended up getting a S-K for about $26! But, it didn't break (and it was guaranteed if it did break). I used my beam torque wrench and did some calculations so I could compensate for the longer moment arm.

Panzer

Post by Panzer » Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:17 pm

Aha, thats one way to solve a problem! I guess I'll copy that ;). THXS for the tip!

But how on earth did you go about to calculate how much you would have to compensate, when using the torque wrench?

Just bought myself a similar torque wrench the other day... so it would be nice to actually use it and get the correct torque!

Last time I did something like this, I followed the advices given by two diffrent HD mechanics, and they said "tight down to a snug fit, and then some". I guess they ment you should "feel" when the bolts were correct torqued down... But hey, with the rate I'm going I'm doing a job like this every 5 year or so... so its gonna be hard to develop that fingertip feel :)

Panzer

Post by Panzer » Sat Apr 23, 2005 11:57 am

In case anyone was wondering why the distributor/breaker did not want to come out... Well, I finally managed to get it out, and I found that the pin that is supposed to hold the gear in place were on the move. It stuck out a bit on one side, and I guess it caused the breaker to stick when I tried to pull it out,

Got it out using a lot of pacience... and now I'm gonna replace that pin.

So thanks to the oil leak at the base of the sylinders, I have avoided loosing the breaker gear into the cam.... which I can imagine would cost me a lot of $$$$.

I guess everything happens for a reason.....

VintageTwin
Panhead Register Member
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

Post by VintageTwin » Sat Apr 23, 2005 3:14 pm

There's no torque compensation as long as the wrench "foot" you're using and bolt being tightened are at a 90 degree angle to the torque wrench. Check our page at amazon, under "Look Inside This Book". There's a list of torque spec's posted for free, courtesy of George and Stett. Torque specs never published by the factory.

Panzer

Post by Panzer » Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:24 pm

Thxs! Really helpful tips!

I have the Clymer manual, and I should have the HD manual somewhere....

So I have to questions:

1. How come these torque spesifications have been a "secret"? (talked to two different guys at the dealer ship today, and they told me that 45 Lbf ft for the cylinder base nuts, but the book said 35! you should think they should know...)

2. Are there other things in this book, that has been left out of all the other books and that would make it a "must have"?

Rgds

Panzer

VintageTwin
Panhead Register Member
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

Post by VintageTwin » Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:42 pm

1. They were till amazon posted them! M.M.I taught specs. from Stetts notebooks. And George @ Stetts http://www.stettsironhorseranch.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; > Where would we be without them? Guessing.
2. Probably. No one has returned any. Not a restoration manual. Not a full service manual. An in-depth, required maintenance guide, with the tools and where to get them. Chain primarys.

Return to “Ignition”