Circuit breaker question

All ignition related articles
fxe76

Circuit breaker question

Post by fxe76 » Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:25 pm

i have been in the habit of setting the circuit breaker to about half way retarded to start and then turning it to full advance for running -- i have a single point breaker system with no advance control -- question is, has anyone ever found the need to retard the breaker to the full retard position for any reason -- if not, why is the adjustment range set up to provide for that option -- thanks --

57pan

Re: Circuit breaker question

Post by 57pan » Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:34 pm

My 57 is set up pretty much like yours. I don't have the advance mechanism that is normally controlled by the left grip either and I usually retard it about half way to start it.

Seems to me that ideally you would want the timing retarded just enough so that the piston is just past TDC when it fires so as to avoid kick-back. I've been toying with the idea of setting up some sort of adjustable stop that would allow me to consistently set the timing to the same spot for starting.

I guess, in answer to your question, I don't know why they provide so much adjustment.

fourthgear

Re: Circuit breaker question

Post by fourthgear » Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:27 pm

I used to pull mine on my 56 all the way back(retard) to start and of course after starting all the way forward (advance)and attach a spring to it . They are all diff. is probably why, different climates and altitudes effect starting among a lot of other things . I can't wait to see how my 49 starts.

Return to “Ignition”