Problems with attachments solved: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17433

How many degrees of dwell

All ignition related articles
kell

How many degrees of dwell

Post by kell » Sun Nov 21, 2004 6:18 pm

No got 'em dwell meter, need to know how many degrees of dwell a single points manual advance breaker has.

panwars
Bikes: 61FL in a late 49 frame.
59FLH almost stock

Re: How many degrees of dwell

Post by panwars » Sun Dec 05, 2004 9:56 am

I have never used dwell measurement on my bikes, just a feeler gauge. Dwell has never been published that I know of. I do know that .022" does not work for me, I use .014" on a single point system with great results. I could measure dwell I guess and use that spect to set with, but these things are so basic and easy I don't bother. I get great year round cold start with three to four kicks and one kick hot. My engine is a 1961 74" W/super E

kell

Post by kell » Sun Dec 05, 2004 6:18 pm

Thanks for the reply. I don't need it for setting the gap. It's for an electronic advance circuit that detects the length of dwell as a way of determining rpm and set the timing of the spark. Already built a breadboard version and rode around with it perched precariously on the tank, it works but getting it "dialed in" will be a challenge. So I need to know the dwell (in degrees).

BigMike
Bikes: 01 FLHPI
64 FLH
Various partials....

Post by BigMike » Mon Dec 06, 2004 12:46 pm

I suppose you could compute the dwell angle using a spare breaker with points, and a degree wheel. It might take some careful set-up and several tries to get it right. The odd shape of the breaker cam would make it almost impossible to do mathematically. (haven't had to do any complicated geometry in about 35 years)

57pan

Post by 57pan » Mon Dec 06, 2004 6:06 pm

Kell,

You never cease to amaze me with all the cool ignition circuit ideas that you come up with.
Keep us informed as to the results of some of these tests that you're doing.
What ever happened to the capacitive discharge circuit?

Jack_Hester
Ex-member

Post by Jack_Hester » Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:28 pm

Kell can come up with some cool 'tech' projects. I even tried to find some info on the dwell for him, but haven't found it yet. If I were home, I'd be mounting a degree wheel and dial indicator, and jotting down some numbers.
Like 57Pan said, keep us informed. Inquiring minds got to know!

Jack

hiway-star
Bikes: 2007 Nightster, '58 Panhead, '64 Triumph TS20, 1972 Bultaco Pursang

Post by hiway-star » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:35 am

I am developing an panhead electronic ignition based on an AVAGO quadrature encoder. I made a billet aluminum distributor with roller and thrust bearing supported stainless steel shaft. The distributor houses
the Ignition Control Unit (ICU) electronics and the encoder module. The ICU is designed around a micro-controller that has a Quadrature Encoder Interface (QEI). The QEI reads the crankshaft velocity (RPM) at the beginning of every revolution. The correct advance and dwell amount for the crank velocity is obtained from a look-up table and set into the QEI to trigger the coils at the appropriate time. I am using AEM smart coils that have their own IGBT drive circuitry built in. The coils generate 45KV that gives off an amazing spark intensity and duration. The test bed is a 1958 Panhead. It belongs to a friend of mine that I ride with. It has always been difficult to start. If I had a nickel for every time I've watched him kick it over and over again... Now it starts first or second kick hot or cold. I am trying to find a good source of data for the ignition profiles for the panhead. If any of you guys know a tuner or shop that has extensive experience with panhead ignition curves that is willing to share data, I would be grateful. Also, if any of you are interested in a system like this for your scooter email me at enauman@roadrunner.com. It won't be cheap because they are made to order so I can't take advantage of production quantity cost savings. But you won't have to kick it to death to start it...

A couple of neat features I incorporated in the design are a tachometer drive that allows any automotive tachometer to be used. There is a switch on the circuit board that sets the tachometer type (4,6, or 8 cyl) being used. In addition, there is an LED on the board that minimizes the time and trouble of installing the distributor. To install the distributor all you have to do is put the no. 1 cylinder at TDC of the compression stroke, flip a switch on the circuit board and rotate the distributor until the LED on the circuit board flashes and tighten the distributor clamp. That is all that's necessary.

George Greer
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1942 WLA Type III

Hybrid WL/KH bobber project.

58 FL, engine, frame swingarm, gas tanks.
Location: Markt Einersheim, Bavaria. and soon to be back in the US, Portland Oregon

Post by George Greer » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:18 am

hiway-star wrote:I am developing an panhead electronic ignition based on an AVAGO quadrature encoder. I made a billet aluminum distributor with roller and thrust bearing supported stainless steel shaft. The distributor houses
the Ignition Control Unit (ICU) electronics and the encoder module. The ICU is designed around a micro-controller that has a Quadrature Encoder Interface (QEI). The QEI reads the crankshaft velocity (RPM) at the beginning of every revolution. The correct advance and dwell amount for the crank velocity is obtained from a look-up table and set into the QEI to trigger the coils at the appropriate time. I am using AEM smart coils that have their own IGBT drive circuitry built in. The coils generate 45KV that gives off an amazing spark intensity and duration. The test bed is a 1958 Panhead. It belongs to a friend of mine that I ride with. It has always been difficult to start. If I had a nickel for every time I've watched him kick it over and over again... Now it starts first or second kick hot or cold. I am trying to find a good source of data for the ignition profiles for the panhead. If any of you guys know a tuner or shop that has extensive experience with panhead ignition curves that is willing to share data, I would be grateful. Also, if any of you are interested in a system like this for your scooter email me at enauman@roadrunner.com. It won't be cheap because they are made to order so I can't take advantage of production quantity cost savings. But you won't have to kick it to death to start it...

A couple of neat features I incorporated in the design are a tachometer drive that allows any automotive tachometer to be used. There is a switch on the circuit board that sets the tachometer type (4,6, or 8 cyl) being used. In addition, there is an LED on the board that minimizes the time and trouble of installing the distributor. To install the distributor all you have to do is put the no. 1 cylinder at TDC of the compression stroke, flip a switch on the circuit board and rotate the distributor until the LED on the circuit board flashes and tighten the distributor clamp. That is all that's necessary.
That sounds neat........

I am always amazed at the talented people here.

45KV.........wow, one of the oil cooled generators on the UH-60 Black-hawk helicopter that I work on has that same rating (it has two), and the generator driven by the APU is 35KV, aircooled.

George Greer

Return to “Ignition”