Coil surgery needed, the wire broke off

All ignition related articles
57FLH

Coil surgery needed, the wire broke off

Post by 57FLH » Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:32 am

well, my leg is tired, the bike wouldn't start, & after screwing around with the points & such, I started suspecting the coil (or at least the front plug wire since I replaced them awhile back)...no spark at the front....so i decided to replace the front wire & figuring that I had the ignition on for awhile the coil was warm enough to pull the wire out & doh! the wire broke off flush with the top of the hole ...ugh. Is surgery possible? or am I faced with dropping some dough on a new replica. (unfortunately, mine is twin lead tar oem) If I have to go replica, what should I go with? I know that replicas are available tar packed or not.
Suggestions please.

Plain

Re: Coil surgery needed

Post by Plain » Tue Nov 23, 2004 2:07 pm

57FLH:

Those spark plug wires get brittle from the heat and they are a LPITA aren't they? Two methods that I have used to get out of this situation.

1. Get a small cork screw, like is on a Swiss Army knife. Carefully screw it down into the spark plug wire stub while the coil is cold. Get coil warm and you can usually extract the stub.

2. Select a length of tubing slightly larger than the od of the wire. Cut and file some teeth on the end of the tubing. Use it to cut down around the outside of the stub. Pull her out.

With either method if you go too deep you can potentially ruin the coil. The tubing cutter will also work if you have overheated a coil prior to inserting a wire and the hole closed. Cut new hole while cool. Then get coil warm but not hot to insert the new wire.
Opinions on the repop coils vary. Mostly I hear good things, but then will talk to someone that had two in a row go tits up in short order. Maybe the coil, maybe some other problem contributing to the coils early demise. Search on old threads on this board. Seems like I remember a discussion of repop and replacement coils.

Plain

57FLH

Re: Coil surgery needed

Post by 57FLH » Wed Nov 24, 2004 3:52 am

Thanks for the advice Plain. Maybe the tube cutter will work...hmmm
Anyone happen to know what the distance is from the top of the hole to the contact for the front cylinder wire? (that would be rear hole on the coil)

Seems to be alot of varying opinions about the replica coils. Guess it depends on luck of the draw & which guy in that big factory in Taiwan put em together!

...Nikolai Tesla thought that the world was one big receptor of acoustical resonance. Hmmmmm.

Return to “Ignition”