Create your own blog: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17487

Replace points with electronic ignition

All ignition related articles
toolscum

Replace points with electronic ignition

Post by toolscum » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:20 pm

Description: Any advice on brands

Post by Toolscum on Oct 19, 2003, 11:10pm

I'd like to replace my points with electronic ignition. I hear they make it easier to start. Any advice on brands? I've ordered 2 and they were for cone motors even though the mail order joint said these were the right ones! I have a centrifugal advance distributor. Which model and make do I need?

Post by DuoGlide62 on Oct 20, 2003, 12:17pm

First of all, I'm new to the board. I DO NOT have electric ignition on my '62 but I recently found this set-up. Again, I haven't tried it but it has some great features. Mainly, that it uses the stock mounting holes. Once it's installed, no one knows but you. Has anyone used this set- up yet ? I'd consider buying it if anyone can vouch for it. Here's the web address, just click on electronic ignition: www.ebeyond2000.net

Post by mtnspan on Oct 21, 2003, 8:29pm

I just ordered a Dyna. Other posts that I have read say they work good. I checked out the Quick Start, but I'm cheap and their not. When I get it installed I'll update.

Post by relic on Oct 22, 2003, 10:03pm

Jep,Quickstart 2000,is not cheapest,but you dont need new distributor or coil.It fits centrifugal or manual advance distiributors.Works also 6 or 12volts electrics.
Friend of mine got dyna2000i in his pan it also works fine,but it needs both new coil and aftermarket distributor...

Post by mtnspan on Oct 24, 2003, 8:31pm

Relic,
I have an aftermarket dist. and an Accel coil. Will the Dyna work with this coil? I ordered the Dyna S, without the coil.

Post by mtnspan on Oct 31, 2003, 3:25am

Just got back from test ride after installing the Dyna S.
Easy install, it fits right in an aftermarket dist. with no modification. I used an Accell coil thats 3 ohms. Dyna suggests a 5 ohm for street, 3 ohm for racing. I'm not racing but it will have to do for now. I static timed, and it's starting on 1-2 kicks. Much smoother running.
Best hundred bucks Iv'e spent in a while. ;D

Post by dirtydistrict on Oct 31, 2003, 9:55am

Hi Mtnspan, glad it works well for you too, again, for anyone who plan to run electronic ignition, the "dyna conversion" is surely the less expensive (if you still have automatic advance circuit breaker) and is really reliable; my pan start also with one kick, after the ritual priming and so on. I use an oem coil with mine.

mugs
Bikes: 1961 FLH

Re: Replace points with electronic ignition

Post by mugs » Sun May 09, 2010 1:56 pm

Just replace my 61 to Electronic and what a difference especialy starting, the idle is great. No more kicking like before and adjusting the points on and on. I had points problem from start go, and now with the Electronic its all fine. I would recomend this if you are thinking of Electric Ignition. Mugs

Return to “Ignition”