Dyna ignition in a Pan distributor

All ignition related articles
mtnspan

Dyna ignition in a Pan distributor

Post by mtnspan » Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:08 pm

New to this site, it looks great!! first ?
Will a Dyna ignition fit in a Pan dist.? What other types will work? Does Quick Start have a website?
Pans Forever!!

Cotten

Re: Dyna ignition in a Pan distributor

Post by Cotten » Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:15 pm

I think you mean "Kick-Start" of Wyoming (town), Michigan (state), and no,.. Chuck is a dim viewer of the cyber revolution. And even of Pans, as his catolog specializes on flatties, and maybe a little Knuckle stuff.
Ain't got a clue 'bout the Dyna stuff, because I never found it necessary.

mtnspan

Post by mtnspan » Thu Sep 02, 2004 10:54 am

I read about the "Quick Start 2000" in the Horse a couple months ago and it looks like a good alternative to points. just got me thinking that a Dyna should do the same thing, and cheaper.

kell

Post by kell » Thu Sep 02, 2004 7:42 pm

I saw the same Horse article and was able to find QuickStart 2000 with a little searching on the web. I'm sure you could too. As for the Dyna, I don't think it will fit a pan breaker. But DirtyDistrict modified a Dyna unit to make it fit into the breaker on his panhead, as I recall reading on a post a month or two ago.

dirtydistrict
Bikes: 2010 road king at the moment. Won't last long

Post by dirtydistrict » Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:41 am

Hi and welcome to this board Mtnspan, as Kell said, I've done this at the moment where mallory units weren't on the market and it is far more less expensive. You could read the previous post about it, in fact i've bought a Dyna dual fire that fits Shovel and modified it to fit my aftermarket automatic distributor. The only job to do is to reduce the outside diameter of the support plate of Dyna and change the ignition lobe for the one given in the Dyna kit. If I can catch one of these marvelous numeric cameras, i will add a link on a post in order to make that little job a benefit for all that wish to try. You can keep your original coil and since i've done this I never had any trouble. Advantage is that it start easier at any kind of weather and no friction which means no points to check regularly. As anything we do on our scout, that's a matter of choice, points regularly tuned do their job very well too.

mtnspan

Post by mtnspan » Fri Sep 03, 2004 7:43 pm

Thank you all for the responses. When I get the bucks for it, I,ll try the Dyna. My pan is running well right now, but occasionally can be a bear to start. Usually I can get it started with 3-4 kicks after priming, but those "other" times, well you know........

relic

Post by relic » Sat Sep 04, 2004 9:24 am

I put Quick start 2000 to my pan about one month ago and very satisfied with it.My distributor was bit worn and point clearance was varieting all the time.Sometimes too much sometimes none.After reading story from The Horse I'll searched Quick start from web and ordered one delivery was fast even to Finland. Instructions were good assembly was fast and easy.I think that it was not very expensive be cause I could keep my old manual advance distributor. Now starting is even better and perhaps there is a bit more power?

mtnspan

Post by mtnspan » Sat Sep 04, 2004 3:08 pm

Hey Relic, glad to here from someone who has tried the Quick Start 2000. I have tried to search for it, but haven't found it yet.( I'm computer challenged)Do you have the web site address?
I haven't changed my ignition yet, but I would like to soon. Mtn

kell

Post by kell » Sat Sep 04, 2004 9:15 pm

http://www.ebeyond2000.net/showcase.html

Or go to google and type: quickstart 2000 ignition

mtnspan

Post by mtnspan » Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:48 pm

:)
Thanks Kell, I owe ya a beer!!

Return to “Ignition”