Need help on distributor advance on start!!!!!

All ignition related articles
69camfrk

Need help on distributor advance on start!!!!!

Post by 69camfrk » Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:29 am

My new to me '52 has the original points distributor and as we all know these things are prone to kick back on starting, so where would be the ideal spot to set the advance? I'm guessing all the way counter clockwise and then when she warms up advance it to about the middle position. She about ripped my foot off last night so I need some relief!!! Thanks!!

Cotten

Re: Need help on distributor advance on start!!!!!

Post by Cotten » Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:57 am

Whoa now,

These things are not prone to kick back unless something is amiss.

Retard is clockwise as you look down upon the timer. When started, the points head is then rotated counterclockwise to advance it to its detente.

If your ignition timing, valve adjustment, and advance linkage is in perfect order, then the sweet spot for the hand grip is "most of the way" retarded, or comfortable even at full retard.

Backfiring through the carb is another "kick back' altogether.

....Cotten

69camfrk

Post by 69camfrk » Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:33 am

The advance was set about mid way. Thanks for the info. I don't have the hand grip advance control, just have to turn it by hand. For normal riding where is a good spot for the dist to be set?? I have a lot to learn about theses old scoots. Thanks

64DUOGLIDE

Post by 64DUOGLIDE » Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:38 am

I most get a great third kick (two power off prime kicks) by retarding all of the way, then rolling it back slightly, it will start all of the way retarded, but seems to like it better a little forward from fully retarded...They all have a unique sweet spot...you just gotta find yours...mine will barely run unless I advance fully as soon as she fires...never used the choke...

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:42 am

If it isn't timed perfectly when advanced counterclockwise fully to its stop, it isn't timed.

...Cotten

Return to “Ignition”