Timing jumped

All ignition related articles
ells_panhead

Timing jumped

Post by ells_panhead » Mon May 24, 2004 1:04 pm

First I would like to say that it is great to be back in the US. After spending almost three years in Korea, I'm glad to be home. Now the problem.........I rode my 65 FLH and parked it in the garage as usual. The next morning I got on her turned the ignition on and hit the start button and I got nothing but backfires through the exhaust. That night I reset the timing (static). Hit the starter button and she fired right up and ran great. I rode it around and stopped for a couple of hours. I jumped back on and she fired right up and ran great. I parked her in the garage for the night. The next morning I jumped on her turn the ignition on and backfiring through the exhaust. So, I reset the timing (static) again and she fired right up. Everything was tight in the distributer. I have a stampede electronic module. I ran her down the road and she started to stall unless I kept the RPM up. I shut her off and sat along the road for maybe 5 min. I Started her up and she ran fine. After about an hour of riding (45-50 mphs) she developed a popping sound from the front cylinder through the exhaust and a loss in power. Spark on both cylinders is bright white and compression is good. I am running an S & S super E carb. I pulled the timing cover off and everything looked good and the timing marks all line up. At first I was thinking a sticky valve or collapsed lifter. At one point I started the bike and it ran good for about 20 seconds or so and the popping came back. Anyone have any suggestion?

King

Re: Timing jumped

Post by King » Tue May 25, 2004 10:03 am

Ellspanhead

Welcome back from Korea I can emphasize having spent some time there myself though not three years!
This is a weird one and I hope someone with more experience than me will chime in. When you said you retimed the system how much was it out of timing? Was the change consistent (i.e. always retarded or advanced)? From what you wrote I assume all the parts of the electronic ignition are secured in their right positions and there is enough gap between the rotor and receiver but if you have any doubt, that is the first thing I would check.
A buddy once had a similar problem. He could not achieve a consistent timing and determined that it was caused by a worn drive gear on the circuit breaker ("distributor") so that's another thing to check. Also, does the circuit breaker shaft wobble in relation to the base plate indicating worn bushings?

Good luck

King

ells_panhead

Post by ells_panhead » Tue May 25, 2004 3:54 pm

When I said reset the timing, I meant that I went through the static timing process to set the timing. I have an electronic module instead of the points set up. I have started the bike the last three or four days straight and she fires right up. Although I have that weird popping instead of the normal tone out of the exhaust. The timing issue is strange but the popping and lack of power is what gets me. I currently took the carb of and I checked the seals. Both were slightly kinked, buying new ones today.

dereborn
Bikes: .

Post by dereborn » Wed May 26, 2004 7:04 am

Electrics..... (deep sigh) I feel for you, bro!
I have experienced spooky things with both condenser and coils... heating up and/or cooling down has caused both malfunction and re-function (xcuse my poor english...) of these units.
As the condenser is pretty inexpensive, I'd chip in a vote for replacing that to start with...
Also once when i had tried everything else, I replaced the battery (which had responded OK to all testing so far) - and - badabooom - everything was OK!
I recently had enough, caved in and converted to 12 volts... been running with happy headlights ever since! Going for a magneto as well, just to be really sure I'm never again stranded at the side of the highway because of electric gremlins!
Then there is - always - the EML-factor to consider...
Cotten?

Anyways, good luck, and keep updating us on the progress of your search of evil!

/JD

King

Post by King » Wed May 26, 2004 2:08 pm

Sounds like the timing etc. might be a Red Herring and from the discription of your carb gaskets I too suspect an air leak. If the bike had sat for your three years in Korea I would think things, including the rubber bands connecting the manifold to the heads may have dried out a bit and the Evil Manifold Leak (EML) has manifested itself.
So my next move would be to do the manifold pressure test. Go into the search function to find the link to the test discription.

King

ells_panhead

Post by ells_panhead » Thu May 27, 2004 7:48 am

I actually had my bike shipped to Korea and rode over 5,000 miles while I was there. Riding in Korea is a challenge in its self. When I shipped it back, the bike sat in storage for about 5 months. I had it delivered in Apr 06. I rode it 5 or 6 times before this occurred. The o rings were in bad shape, squared out and had a couple of pinched areas. I bought new ones today along with new clamps. I will replace them tonight and see about the pressure test. I have put over 10,000 miles on her in the past 5 years. I'm at a lost

ozwick86
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: '59 Pan FLHF

Post by ozwick86 » Fri May 28, 2004 8:47 am

It also sounds as if you are not getting enough fuel to the cylinders due to the popping. Did you drain the fuel out of the carb before it sat for 5 mos. or put Stabil in the gas? Maybe you should pull the carb off and inspect it?

Return to “Ignition”