Bikes: Pan
FLHP Evo
E-H Super X
Chubble head hack
Servi-car
Topper

Circuit breaker end play

Post by panhead_kicker » Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:55 am

On my manual advance circuit breaker, I can stick a .013 feeler gauge between the washer and the gear at the end of the shaft. Service manual states an end play limit of .008, so I think I need to remove the gear and figure out the next size washer that'l get me in spec .008-001. I'm having a little difficulty in removing the gear pin. It was peaned flat pretty good on both sides, so I used a 1/8 inch pin punch and tried to hammer the pin out. Nothing moved , so I thought maybe the pin itself may be smaller, so I tried a 1/16th inch punch in the center to make sure I wasn't driving against the side of the shaft itself. Well , the punch lasted about 10 hammer wacks before it expired, the pin still not moving. Anyone know the diameter of this pin, or a better method of removing it?
circuit_breaker.JPG
circuit_breaker.JPG (282.49 KiB) Viewed 1109 times

pan50head
Bikes: 1950 FL

Re: Circuit breaker end play

Post by pan50head » Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:15 am

Once you are able to remove the pin, why not replace the bronze bushings that keep the shaft in line? If there is any play in any direction in the shaft, it will cause you problems. Although not described in the Harley service books, the top bushing should be oiled via the slot near the points cam. Good luck.

Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea » Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:44 am

I've got a couple of old timers and was wondering the same thing, I went after the pin with a hardened punch and couldn't get it to push thru, it almost looks like the pin is driven thru from one side then expanded with a center punch from the other side to hold it in place. Looking at the bottom of the shaft there appears to be some kind of plug in the bottom under the pin, It's a mystery...Mike

mbskeam

Post by mbskeam » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:38 am

I just got mine out about a week ago.....
I took a file and went over the gear, where the pin is peened,just a clean up. then you can see the center of the pin, center punched it and drilled it out from both sides, since the gear and shaft are hardened the dill went right down the center.
I then took it to the press and the left over pin sheared right off as the gear came off.
I did get new bushings, but they seam as loose as the ones in the base, if I knock out the old bushings, I am not sure if the new ones would shrink up to the proper ID.tighter than it is now or just as loose...
these I got from NOSPARTS....
mine also had about the same end play .012, and the side to side is .003/.004
mbskeam

panhead_kicker
FLHP Evo
E-H Super X
Chubble head hack
Servi-car
Topper

Post by panhead_kicker » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:25 pm

mbskeam wrote:center punched it and drilled it out from both sides, since the gear and shaft are hardened the dill went right down the center.
Hey mbskeam,
What size drill bit did you use?

mbskeam

Post by mbskeam » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:30 pm

I cant remember, but I can get it tomorrow at work. the parts are there

mbskeam

PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL custom
58 FL
76 FLH All Original

Post by PanPal » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:00 pm

I wouldn't worry too much about the .013. With a helical gear, the shaft is always being forced in the same direction. I doubt it would bouce up and down when it's running and it would be a very small difference in timing if it did bounce. If you do take the pin out, make sure it is as hard to get out once it is put back together. This pin could mess up some things if it comes out later. If the bushings are worn I think this is more of a problem and worth going after the pin. Most of the timers I see are worn more where the top swivels on the timer base. This wear can cause inconsistant point gaps each time the timer is advanced or retarded. The bike may run great some times and terrible at others.

mbskeam

Post by mbskeam » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:31 am

drill size...
3/32 0r #40 (.098)
pushed in new bushings and they shrunk up too about .0015 clearance...
yea for OEM parts.....LOL

mbskeam

panhead_kicker
FLHP Evo
E-H Super X
Chubble head hack
Servi-car
Topper

Post by panhead_kicker » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:45 am

mbskeam wrote:drill size...
3/32 0r #40 (.098)
Cool , thanks mbskeam.

mbskeam

Post by mbskeam » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:57 am

put it back together, got .002 end play and about .001 clearance on the bushing to shaft.
when lining up the gear to shaft I used drill bits and then pressed the gear on .
the pin ends peened over real nicely and a center punch just to make sure it aint going anywhere....
dist1.jpg
dist1.jpg (37.88 KiB) Viewed 849 times
dist2.jpg
dist2.jpg (35.24 KiB) Viewed 849 times
made up the end play with a .010 shim plus the .065 stock shim

mbskeam

Return to “Ignition”