Mallory Electronic ignition coil?

All ignition related articles
tickface

Mallory Electronic ignition coil?

Post by tickface » Tue May 19, 2009 12:06 am

I am going with a Mallory A557 on my 1951 and was curious what coil you Mallory guys are running? Also curious if your running it single fire or not? Thank you in advance.

stroker93
Bikes: 2003Santee down & dirty
1981 shovel rigid
1955frankenpan

Re: Mallory Electronic ignition coil?

Post by stroker93 » Tue May 19, 2009 1:35 am

I run a Vulcan unit but similar,,,I have it wired for single fire with Dyna coils,,,this way if I decide to dual plug my heads the coil bracket is there and it gives me spare coils for the evo.I have never had a Dyna coil go bad yet,,,1 set goin on 10 yrs old.
Dave

lockdoc
Bikes: 65 Panhead in a 70 FLH frame

Re: Mallory Electronic ignition coil?

Post by lockdoc » Tue May 19, 2009 5:10 am

I use the A556 which is dual only but still uses the Unilite module. I originally used the Accel 3 ohm super coil. It went bad twice along with the Unilite module in the distributor in a very short time leaving me stranded both times. I put on my original 5 ohm dyna coil and had no problems. I now have dual plugs and run two 1.5 ohm Dyna coils with good results. I also used the Dyna 3 ohm coil with four outputs meant for the single fire ignitions wired for dual with success but felt I was missing something. I would probably run single fire if I had a choice.

One thing about these Unilite modules. The same module is used in the car version distributors. In that application it calls for a ballast resistor to be used. But not on the bikes. Like I said I burnt out two of them with the Accel coil. I emailed Mallory about this but never got a reply.

Return to “Ignition”