A simple menu for the gallery has been added: Menu for Gallery

Mallory Electronic ignition coil?

All ignition related articles

Mallory Electronic ignition coil?

Post by tickface » Tue May 19, 2009 12:06 am

I am going with a Mallory A557 on my 1951 and was curious what coil you Mallory guys are running? Also curious if your running it single fire or not? Thank you in advance.

Bikes: 2003Santee down & dirty
1981 shovel rigid

Re: Mallory Electronic ignition coil?

Post by stroker93 » Tue May 19, 2009 1:35 am

I run a Vulcan unit but similar,,,I have it wired for single fire with Dyna coils,,,this way if I decide to dual plug my heads the coil bracket is there and it gives me spare coils for the evo.I have never had a Dyna coil go bad yet,,,1 set goin on 10 yrs old.

Bikes: 65 Panhead in a 70 FLH frame

Re: Mallory Electronic ignition coil?

Post by lockdoc » Tue May 19, 2009 5:10 am

I use the A556 which is dual only but still uses the Unilite module. I originally used the Accel 3 ohm super coil. It went bad twice along with the Unilite module in the distributor in a very short time leaving me stranded both times. I put on my original 5 ohm dyna coil and had no problems. I now have dual plugs and run two 1.5 ohm Dyna coils with good results. I also used the Dyna 3 ohm coil with four outputs meant for the single fire ignitions wired for dual with success but felt I was missing something. I would probably run single fire if I had a choice.

One thing about these Unilite modules. The same module is used in the car version distributors. In that application it calls for a ballast resistor to be used. But not on the bikes. Like I said I burnt out two of them with the Accel coil. I emailed Mallory about this but never got a reply.

Return to “Ignition”