Timing: a little problem when i time the bike

All ignition related articles
61FLHPan
Bikes: 1961FlHPan 73flh@1983lowrider

Timing: a little problem when i time the bike

Post by 61FLHPan » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:40 pm

I have a little problem when itime the bike i set the timeing mark up to the right of the hole then i sit the point every thing is line up ihave to turn the distb. counterclock wise to get her started .Then when i go to time it with the tjming light i can not find the mark in the hole how can you tell if your cam gear is time right the bike run good i am just concern start up on 2to3 kicks when hot start right up I dont want any major damage if it run to hot i retarded when i start it is it possible the fly wheel could be off .I would like to thank you for all knowledge i got from this site about my bike . .

john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '71 Suzuki Duster 125, '83 GPz 750.

Re: Timing

Post by john HD » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:11 pm

have you returned it to full advance when you try to use your timing light?

john

RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:49 am

The distributor should be all the way counterclockwise when you SET the timing (full advance). Both for static (Engine not running) or dynamic (running) timing If you are setting it some other way it is wrong.
Robbie

caschnd1
Bikes: 1949 FL Chopper

Post by caschnd1 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:09 am

RUBONE wrote:The distributor should be all the way counterclockwise when you SET the timing (full advance). Both for static (Engine not running) or dynamic (running) timing If you are setting it some other way it is wrong.
Robbie
+1 ... full advance (all the way couterclockwise when SETTING the timing).

Hauula Pan
Bikes: 1952 FL

Post by Hauula Pan » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:40 pm

It is normal for the bike to want the timing a little different when starting cold vs hot. Some like the timing retarded for a cold start and will start easier when left advanced for hot starts. Others prefer things different. Each bike has its own personality, and a lot will depend on if you're running everything stock or have a different cam, carb, intake, etc. When you set it static you want the timing mark before center in the hole, timer full advanced, points gapped correctly, adjustment stud plate properly aligned etc. When you use the strobe the mark will appear more in the center of the hole, still at full advance. As for what position, retarded or advanced or in between, your motor will want for starting cold and hot once everything is set will depend on your motor and the combination of piston compression, cam, carb, etc. I know that changing the cam and running low compression pistons made a big difference in the way mine starts. It is much more picky now than it used to be with stock pistons & cam. Once you find what yours wants for cold vs hot starts it should always want things the same. And most important - always check for intake leaks - that extra air will really mess you up!!!

Return to “Ignition”