Create your own blog: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17487

Weak Magneto Magnets.....symptoms?

All ignition related articles
OckMock
Bikes: 1950 panhead chopper

Weak Magneto Magnets.....symptoms?

Post by OckMock » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:57 pm

I posted a while back about my magneto woes. I thought I had found the problem after a thorough cleaning, however, I bolted the mag head back on, timed it to the letter and went to kicking....and still got nothing.

What I did learn is that this mag produces ZERO to weak spark at kicking speed rpms...however, when I put the mag in a vise and spin it with a variable speed drill, she sparks perfectly at mid to high rpms.

I replaced the points and condensers several times and checked for a grounding condition. It passes all of those tests.

Can anybody tell me the symptoms of weak magnets...for instance, if the magnets are weak, would kicking speed rpm spark be non-existent or sporadic at best???

I sent this mag off to Morris in '03 for a full rebuild and remagnetization...it sat on a shelf until '07 when motor was rebuilt. This mag is a cast aluminum model...not the newer billet model that Morris makes...if that makes any difference.

Still stumped and looking for an answer...

Saintly
Bikes: 66 XLCH
knuck repro
98 STD Pan
53 FL

Re: Weak Magneto Magnets.....symptoms?

Post by Saintly » Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:45 am

Have you tried removing and re-installing the air cleaner?

Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Post by Bosheff » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:04 am

Spinnin the mag on the bench with a drill will spin the shaft considerably faster than kicking it over in the motorcycle. Get someone to help check spark intensity through a plug wire while kicking it over with both plugs in and 1 plug wire end held 1/8' - 1/4" from the cylinder head. Note the spark intensity. Now pull both plugs and repeat. This will permit the mag to spin faster. Is the spark more intense, less intense, or the same as in the previous check? You may have an internal ground condition, but I'm guessin the coil is weak, and probably need a charge. Coils can loose their charge just sittin. It may be strong on the last ride of the season, but ya got nothin come spring. It could be good when ya go to bed at night, and dead when ya try to start it the next morning. As many times as you've changed points and condensors, you can probably rule them out....bosheff

john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '71 Suzuki Duster 125, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:12 am

walk twards the light!

battery, points, coil.......

john

OckMock
Bikes: 1950 panhead chopper

Post by OckMock » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:16 am

Saintly wrote:Have you tried removing and re-installing the air cleaner?
Yes, Sinsay...several times...and beeped the horn, too...!

partshunt
Panhead Register Member

Post by partshunt » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:33 am

OckMock:- Sounds like your running a magneto, has it been apart lately for any reason?

58flh
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:24 pm

I know this is a old post!--Anyway I have had exp. with magnetos. Most of the time the problem is WEAK-MAGNETS!,-However the other times are an internal short, wrong points setting, wrong cap!, wrong wires & Spark-Plugs!.--Every mag that I ever purchased at a swapmeet always had great spark! & that means GOOD MAGNETS & no short!.--My way of checking a mag out of a box of parts is----Put 2-fingers in the caps holes & spin it!--If you jump & wake-up , SHES GOOD to go!.IF you wear a pacemaker --DO NOT DO THIS!--IT wont electrocute you but you should get a nice JUMP from it!--If you get a jolt & want to try it again!--The Magnets are weak!. :!: ---For those that think this is nuts--its no different then getting a shock from your car.--I try 5 or 6 in a row & find the best ones!--(easy).--Now a lot of times a bike will start when pushed & run GREAT!--But wont start when KICKED!---TRY this--pull both plugs & ground 1 or both to the head & kick her threw!---IF you cant hear a SNAP from 10-feet away & have a SOFT blue spark,--Then you must check your points, & point-gap--& PLUG GAP, ALSO you must have correct wires!.--IF putting new points in & set to .015-& you have correct plugs & Plug-gap & wires--You should hear the SNAP no problem!-(even with a radio on.)--IF not good---CHECK for a cracked-cap & if that's good -(ITS the MAGNETS!).They can be sent out to get RE-EXCITED is the term they use at MORRIS MAG. in Morristown N.J.----If you have good spark & hard-starting---Its usually a intake-Leak, or not enuff Retard on start-up!/-You have to file the housings some to get that extra bit!.--I have had pushers starting in 1 to 2 kicks because of that interference on the mag.-body!---BUT most of the time its a CARB. problem!--(intake manifold leak)& that's 80% of the time!-& not olny with Mags,-But stock points to!---Hope this helps somebody just getting into the game!---Respectfully----RICHIE 8)

partshunt
Panhead Register Member

Post by partshunt » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:16 pm

Are you suggesting sending only the horseshoe magnet off to re-energize when needed? My understanding is the best way to energize a magneto is doing on a magnetizer all reassembled on the magneto. Any time a horseshoe magnet is removed it can lose 20 or 30 percent of its megnetism, correct?

Return to “Ignition”