I have installed the "Dynatek" single fire !

All ignition related articles
Motorcyclemike
Bikes: Knucklehead and a Triumph

I have installed the "Dynatek" single fire !

Post by Motorcyclemike » Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:05 am

After i got the system installed and did the timing i could Not Wait to fire the Pan Head UP.......she started right Up nicely and after i pulled that S&S e body off choke position....I had a wonderful lope in that 74 that i have Not had for a long time.....if ever !
Then the exciting part.....The very first ride......It ran so much better and seemed to have lots more POWER and not a ping while taking off as i am at 9 to 1 compression and when i have took off at random times shes "pinged" on regular gas.
The HOT starts are Great and i did gain some gas mileage too.....I have experimented with the plug gaps and have settled for .032....i ran .030 and .035 and i think that ever thing performance wise was best at the .032 gap setting.

At HIGHWAY speed.....like 60 to 70mph's ..........she "loafs along smoothly and nicely.

Ride Free and enjoy Freedom on your Harley Davidson Motorcycle.
Mike here in Kansas
Attachments
The back side of the coil mount.JPG
The back side of the coil mount.JPG (103.37 KiB) Viewed 1528 times
Home made coil mount.JPG
Home made coil mount.JPG (103.51 KiB) Viewed 1528 times

chopped850
Bikes: 1962 FL

Re: I have installed the "Dynatek" single fire !

Post by chopped850 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:38 pm

All that good stuff and a happy motor with 2 new single coils?

Frankenstein
Bikes: 37ULH,46UL,47EL(80"),65FL,61KH-WL-BSA hybrid,56square4,several 50's BSA 500 singles

Post by Frankenstein » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:54 am

did this electronic ignition fit on a generator Pan? Interesting.
DD

Motorcyclemike

Post by Motorcyclemike » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:32 am

Yes it Fit Right In My Generator Pan Head !
I have the later model "auto advance" and the "Dynatek single fire" fit Right inside the 1956 FLH Pan Head point plate area.....But you have to switch the wires out of the timer module to the 2 spark coils to make it time properly.....because the 70 and later point cams rotated counter clock wise and switching the black and white wires that connect to the 2 coils.....solves that issue !
This is Straight from the Dynatek site :
Question: Will the Dyna S work in early Panhead applications with reverse rotation distributors?
Yes the Dyna S works in these applications extremely well. Just remember that in these reverse rotation applications that the front cylinder becomes the rear for ignition purposes. When using the DS6-2 single fire, simply reverse the black and white wires. With the DS6-1 dual fire, simply use the rear cylinder timing marks. Some modification to the mounting plate may be necessary for proper clearance.

Mike in Kansas.

Frankenstein
Bikes: 37ULH,46UL,47EL(80"),65FL,61KH-WL-BSA hybrid,56square4,several 50's BSA 500 singles

Post by Frankenstein » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:22 am

Is it possible to send a pic of the unit mounted in your timer? One picture is worth a thousand words.... I've been thinking about going electronic for awhile now, but didn't know that any of the cone motor units would run "backwards".
Thanks,
DD

Motorcyclemike

Pictures of the single fire on my generator panhead

Post by Motorcyclemike » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:31 am

Ok i have attached a picture of my Single Fire "Dynatek" ignition module thats all installed in place of the old point and condenser unit was...the old plate below the points is not used as the Dynatek is a drop in fit and the new plate holds the magnetic pick up modules.......then you have to route the wire thru the v cut out on the plate and then to the coils......its as easy as
One Two and Three to install.

Mike in Kansas
Attachments
Dynatek Module Plate 1 (LG).jpg
Dynatek Module Plate 1 (LG).jpg (400.86 KiB) Viewed 1436 times

chopped850
Bikes: 1962 FL

Post by chopped850 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:55 am

I noticed your heads are dual plugged. Did you buy the bike that way or do it yourself? What difference did you notice? I'm getting ready to rebuild my motor and looking for all kinds of input. RIght now the bike's running a Mallory distributor and stock coil.

Motorcyclemike

Post by Motorcyclemike » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:42 am

Chopped 850,
I had some really bad cracked stock heads i had a guy weld them UP and he said that i needed to find another set of heads they were cracked bad

I wanted new ones and i got the STD heads and they are duel plugged.
I only have them wired to look like they are working.....But i did not get the duel spark coils.....that would require some different timing.
And i did not want to deal with that all over again...ts still a very simple set up up and i will never have to install new points and condenser and
re TIME........once its set with Dyna.....its set !

I installed a Dyna 3 in my Bmer and never have set the timing for 18 years now and over 250,000 MILES LOL
I recently bought a new set of plugs for the Bmer MotorCycle and after 40,000 Smiles/Miles......they still looked OK.....but i installed the new plugs any way.
Electronic Inition is not near as hard on spark plugs as the points and a condenser system is .

I have made me a Spark Coil Cover and attached the picture here with this reply....took a hour to make then polish and install......i love to make things like that....i rode the Pan head
to "BIKE NIGHT" tonight and LOL had a few ole schools say they loved the coil cover.....Ole school guys Know about things like "home made parts" for sure !
Motor Cycle Mike
Attachments
Right Side Tank.jpg
Right Side Tank.jpg (59.26 KiB) Viewed 1378 times
Dyna Spark Coils Cover.jpg
Dyna Spark Coils Cover.jpg (70.16 KiB) Viewed 1379 times

Frankenstein

Post by Frankenstein » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:55 pm

I only note this in good fun, but I couldn't help notice the Die on the enrichener lever. Is luck somehow involved in the starting ritual?
DD
By the way, I really like your paint job on the star tanks. I've got a set myself on my Pan,and have never been happy with the paint schemes I've used. I may have to steal the idea, if you don't mind!

Motorcyclemike

Post by Motorcyclemike » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:28 am

Ok LOL On the dice on the choke lever.......LOOK Close see the 5 well the top side has the 6.......its a 56FLH !
The dice is epoxied in place with none other then JB Weld......both surfaces are sanded with 80 grit and i get alots of questions as what that dice is for !
Thanks for the comment about the paint and pin stripes.......your welcomed to use that idea and some day i'd love to see how your paint and details came out.
Attachments
100_4001 (Small).jpg
100_4001 (Small).jpg (82.26 KiB) Viewed 1340 times

kevsett
Bikes: 1964 FL

Post by kevsett » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:41 pm

Where in NE Kansas do you go for Bike Night?

Return to “Ignition”