Create your own blog: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17487

RE: 12V Coil & Sparkplug Wire Install??

All ignition related articles
Chobber69
Bikes: 48 Pan - Clone

RE: 12V Coil & Sparkplug Wire Install??

Post by Chobber69 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:04 am

Been guestimating this one and need the straight poop! Have a square shaped 12V coil and am figuring best method to cut,crimp & install the spark wire at the coil end. After trying to figure out how the crimp can squeeze into the rounded insert, at the coil end...pretty much gave up! The usual clip, which comes with the kit...I think is for more modern day type round coils? The hole at the coil end is about 7mm-8mm big, so the crimped fastener would have a tight sqeeze...perhaps screwing up the plastic (inside) part of the coil? After looking in both coil holes, noticed a spike sticking out in both (dah)....so, it could be something simple like cutting the wire....maybe exposing an 1/8" of wire and stuff it in....followed by the rubber grommet & screw type fasterner of the coil? Thinking the spike would lodge itself in the wire core...and conduct well enough? Seems to be a solid enough system, when I tried it. Man....can something simple; not be??

FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Re: RE: 12V Coil & Sparkplug Wire Install??

Post by FlatHeadSix » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:28 am

it is that simple, clip the bare wire square on the bottom and jam it down on the spike. Remember that those are designed for solid core copper stranded plug wire but they will work for carbon core (but not as well). Put the packing grommet on it and screw the cap down, that's it!

mike

Chobber69

Post by Chobber69 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:06 am

FlatHeadSix: Amazing, some things can be soooo simple! Thnx! -HHH-

Kuda

Post by Kuda » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:30 pm

I would also add some dielectric grease to the wire before inserting. It'll help keep the coil spikes from coroding and keeps moisture out of the coil. Additionally, if you've got the typical aftermarket coil be ready to drill out the rivets on the mounting bracket and replace with nuts and bolts. The rivets that come on those things are junk and they'll loosen up with vibration pretty quickly...

-Kuda
'49 panchop

Chobber69

Post by Chobber69 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:57 pm

Kuda: ....also ended up having to use allen bolts, when mounting mine. Couldn't use the mount kit (spacer & circut board) the way it was, cause of the holes being so close to the coil itself. Lots of room on the bottom hole for clearance; guess the quality control folks bugged out early on that shift? It's been pretty much the drill, along the way on my project...all good!

Return to “Ignition”