single fire ignition dual plg heads

All ignition related articles
rrennch

single fire ignition dual plg heads

Post by rrennch » Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:37 am

have dual plug panhead with aftermarket timer that uses shovel point plate and advance unit, would like to covert to single fire, added another point set 157deg. from orig. point set for rear cyl.but am unsure if the wide or narrow cam should be removed. does oem dual point timer use a wide or narrow lobe? I realize elec. ign. would be the way to go but have pair of 5ohm coils on hand

Kuda

One option...

Post by Kuda » Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:30 pm

Cost ya more, but much easier. Morris (the magneto folks) make a single fire adapter for MSD's that'll work for any ignition. Runs about $125, unless you can find it used a little cheaper. By using TWO of them, you can run single fire dual plug heads...

-Kuda
'49 FL

Kuda

This is what I'm talking about

Post by Kuda » Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:37 pm

Check this link for a description of what I'm talking about. A picture (and description) is worth...well, a lot more than mine...

http://www.morrismagneto.com/products.html

Near the bottom is the MSF. That's it...

-Kuda

rrennch

single fire dual plug heads

Post by rrennch » Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:12 am

thanks for info ,will most likely go electronic ign wasnt sure if i could ,because although timer uses shovel point plate, the weights do not unbolt from shaft. but the point cam is removable, held on with e-clip I see there are some ignitions that use the weights. but I dont see why the dual point conv. wont work.and the cost would only be another point and condenser, $10.00?

kell

single fire conversion

Post by kell » Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:26 pm

Your idea of grinding off one of the lobes might work, sort of, but think: dwell occurs during the time the rub block rides the flats of the cam. And since the points cam rotates at half of engine rpm, you are going to get a heck of a long dwell if you grind off one of the lobes. To keep the timing on the front cylinder same as it is now, you would have to grind off the big lobe. That means dwell would last the better part of two whole engine revolutions.
Seems like you would really need a cam with a single flat, the same size as one of the flats you have on your stock cam now.
Also, timing the second cylinder without having marks for it on the flywheel would be a headache.
Coughing up for the electronic single-fire doodad may be your best option.

rrench

single fire dual plug heads

Post by rrench » Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:19 pm

Thanks Kell, I understand about the dwell; I think that the narrow should be removed to help that, as far as I know a dual point timer only has one mark on the cam , and rear cylinder timing is adjusted by changing point gap on rear cyl. wasn't sure about the E ign because of the reverse rotation and the fact that the point cam is mounted w/ e-clip rather than center bolt but found old shovel cam and it fits fine and will most likely go that way. but still dont see why the dual point wont work, and It will keep me awake, wondering if I dont try It

dual plug heads

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:08 am

found picture of dual point timer looks like point cam open/close 180 deg. apart can any one confirm?

rrench

dual plug heads

Post by rrench » Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:57 am

checking electronic ign. why is it that dyna is only maker that works in reverse rotation by switching coil leads or using rear timing mark for front cyl. other makers say it wont work with their system. but why wouldnt It? If I go elec. might as well lose the mech. advance too can anyone provide info on s&s reverse gear 33-4208 .does that include 2 gears? trying to do this relativity cheaply

Return to “Ignition”