Distributor hold-downs

All ignition related articles
kell

Distributor hold-downs

Post by kell » Fri Oct 25, 2002 4:53 am

Description: can I get the '66 - '69 distributor and the hold-down that goes with it, and just bolt it in?

Just found out the Mallory Unilite that I thought was for all big twins 1936 to 69 actually is two different distributors, depending on whether the bike had a double bolt hold-down (through 1965) or a single bolt hold-down ('66 to '69). I have a 1952 pan with the original distributor on it. The question: can I get the '66 - '69 distributor and the hold-down that goes with it, and just bolt it in? Or do I have to get the double-bolt version?

VintageTwin
Panhead Register Member
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

Re: Distributor hold-downs

Post by VintageTwin » Thu Nov 07, 2002 2:55 am

Call Mallory and ask them. All the manufacturers are more than happy to answer your questions. Maybe Mallory has an internet address.

kell

Re: Distributor hold-downs

Post by kell » Thu Nov 07, 2002 3:59 am

Thanks for answering.
Got the info from a tech guy at J&P. The Mallory requires the single-bolt clamp 66-69. I am also ordering from them, even though they're expensive. They have a very liberal return policy.
This Mallory is part of my winter bike project that includes new STD heads (double-plugged), new pipes (with real mufflers, for once), and two coils from MSD 1.2 ohms each, to be wired with the primaries in series.
The Mallory is a bargain, and I haven't read anything negative in the posts about it.
Maybe after this my bike won't run like an old man with diabetes and a broken leg.

Return to “Ignition”