Thanks for post feature available again: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17581

Hydra fork rebuild: who does rebuilds?

Information on forks/springers/shocks
WirePan

Hydra fork rebuild: who does rebuilds?

Post by WirePan » Mon Jan 19, 2004 6:43 am

Hey Guys
Got my front end apart. Thought I'd just do the seals and general cleaning BUT found a bent slider.
This is the original 55 I decided to just go over and just make mechanically sound.
Here's my question. I could straighten the tube (maybe) but I decided to get two new tubes and rebuild the forks. Here's the hard part. Getting the old bushings out and pressing (and reaming) the new ones in. I doubt my local dealer has these "old" tools to do it. I don't mind sending them out because I sure don't have time to build my own puller and driver.
Any of you guys out there know who does old hydra rebuilds?

shaker

Re: Hydra fork rebuild

Post by shaker » Wed Jan 21, 2004 3:08 pm

Bills in bloomsburg pa does it, http://www.billsbikebarn.com

BigMike
Bikes: 01 FLHPI
64 FLH
Various partials....

Post by BigMike » Wed Jan 21, 2004 5:09 pm

I've been to Bill's, in fact, it was during the time he was battling "THE Motor Company" great guy, super shop, as well as his new museum.

VintageTwin
Panhead Register Member
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

Post by VintageTwin » Thu Jan 22, 2004 3:50 pm

V-Twin has a bushing service for Glide forks. Removes, installs and sizes new bushings to Standard I.D. for new fork tubes. Includes new bushings and labor (VT 60-0150). You want to install all the parts and re-build the forks yourself though, to experience the "Zen" of it all. Loading new legs with all the parts and juice and having everything from Taiwan fit to within 0.004" when that final snap ring goes in is pure-D fun. Mo-t-o-r..scooter!

WirePan

Post by WirePan » Thu Jan 22, 2004 7:21 pm

Thanks for the great feedback!

I don't think I need the "Zen" of the fork rebuild. I can't seem to find the right fork tools anyway.
Besides, I'm getting plenty of Zen doing the handlebar controls. I bet I have the record for number of holes drilled into the bar end screw "without" messing up the threads!
I haven't had this much fun in years!

VintageTwin
Panhead Register Member

Post by VintageTwin » Fri Jan 23, 2004 5:00 am

Once you have the lower and upper bushings honed to fit standard legs, all the parts are just drop in You lower the leg in the lower tree, then take the top tree off and turn it upside down, then re-install the top tree upside down (smaller hole is directly in line with the cap of the fork tube), install only the center tree nut and move the leg up and secure it in the bottom tree using the pinch-bolt, to within 1" of the top of the upside down top tree, then unloosen the top (spring loaded) cap of the fork tube and it snaps up and hits the top of the tree. That's how you control the cap flying out, pull the spring and you've unloaded the fork tube. Man I love Big Twin rebuilds. It's so farmer friendly. You know?

WirePan

Post by WirePan » Fri Jan 23, 2004 5:30 pm

Farmer Friendly - So that's why I like tractors and Harleys?
I took care when I took the top caps off but it didn't seem like there was much pressure. I guess I should measure the springs and see if they need replacing?

Thanks!

shaker

Post by shaker » Tue Feb 03, 2004 12:12 pm

their was a rebuild on a front end in this months American iron on a 55pan's glide fork's made it look to easy . I might even try it.

VintageTwin
Panhead Register Member

Post by VintageTwin » Tue Feb 03, 2004 5:41 pm

The spring load is fairly strong, but not so strong that you can't push the springs back down to screw the top cap on when you're re-building. To me, everyone is missing the smack satisfaction once you re-build the fork internals. I did it. You can do it. Just send your forks out for new bushings......but........send the tubes your are going to use so the bushings can be honed to them. There was a problem with chromed tubes early-on. The chrome was a 0.020" build-up that was not anticipated. To be safe use the OE style raw tubes. Forget about that tin can with holes in it that Harley used to pump-vent fork oil into the fork tubes. What I did was compress the fork tube down with my hand and poured fork oil from a measuring cup into the top of the tube as I slowly release the spring pressure. As the tube rose, the oil got drawn in.....Ar-ar-ar-ar- when you are finished it's like you did it yourself and you forget about the honing somone else did. To you...it was you're re-build. Let me know if you have a problem...we'll walk you through it. But, for the first time, use the top tree plate reversed as explained to be sure the top bolt isn't sent through your forehead when removed. God....I love things rebuildable.

WirePan

Post by WirePan » Tue Feb 03, 2004 6:20 pm

Just got off the phone with Bill's - Great people. Also a great source for generators as well. They are going to repair a buggered drain hole and install the bushings and hone to my new forks!!! Then I can rebuild the rest!!

Thanks All!!!

WirePan

Post by WirePan » Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:18 am

Got the forks and sliders back the other week and they went together great. Thanks to Bills! Got 'em hangin on the trees!
Thanks for all the great feedback!!!

WirePan

VintageTwin
Panhead Register Member

Post by VintageTwin » Tue Mar 30, 2004 7:28 pm

Alright...you knife-wielding street fighter! What amazed me most was to have all the internals fit to within 0.004, when you go to put in that top circ-lip. Zen-nationary, if there ever was one.

Return to “Forks/Shocks”