Vented fork caps

Information on forks/springers/shocks
Fixman

Vented fork caps

Post by Fixman » Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:55 pm

Fourthgear pointed out that I should make sure my vented caps were clear in checking my stiff bouncy front end problem , and I discovered that my caps are not vented at all - no vent valve (non-adjustable forks). I don't know if the forks are original on my 57 Pan. All I can say is that they look like the originals.

Should all of the caps have the vent valve and vent hole, or were there exceptions?

Kent

fourthgear

Re: Vented fork caps

Post by fourthgear » Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:33 pm

fixman
I have heard of repop that don't have the vents , not sure if they work or not .I have mine in my hand because I am rebuilding my front end and both have vent holes in the side of the cap bolt . The vented caps are essential to the Hydra front end to work properly but there may be different types out there that the venting is accomplished in another way. The baffles at the top of the forks are to keep oil from coming out the vent cap.

Fixman

Re: Vented fork caps

Post by Fixman » Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:41 pm

Thanks Fourthgear. I better figure out what is going on with my forks. No wonder I get a stiff bouncy ride. I also checked if the wheel was true, and it is. I am thinking the problem is an aftermarket internal fork assembly. Guess I'll have to tear it down to find out what is going on.

Kent

Return to “Forks/Shocks”