Create your own blog: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17487

Hydra or springer

Information on forks/springers/shocks
bullidetlef

Hydra or springer

Post by bullidetlef » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:53 pm

Please help! I own a 49' EL. I want to rebuild it to the original condition. May I use a hydra or a springer fork?

DuoDave

Re: Hydra or springer

Post by DuoDave » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:23 pm

Well, the good news here is you can use either. Although H-D introduced the Hydra Glide front end on the '49 Panhead, customers were given the option of retaining the springer fork. Approximately 486 springer Pans were made in '49. Some, but not all of these bikes have a letter "P" stamped at the end of the serial number to denote the springer fork. So, whether or not your bike has a "P" after the serial number, you can legitimately go with whichever front end takes your fancy.

Cotten

Re: Hydra or springer

Post by Cotten » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:56 pm

Note that the '49-only HydraGlide legs were sand-cast, not die-cast, and had the part numbers stamped in them at the top. The correct brake backing plate was similar,
And '49s with springers from the Factory (there HAD to be more than just package trucks, as I even have one with no "P") used the coveted off-set springer with a keylock hole in the stem.
So making your choice becomes one of which is most available?
My springer is almost acceptible because of a tired old original shock. Good luck.

Return to “Forks/Shocks”