Bouncy front end

Information on forks/springers/shocks
Fixman

Bouncy front end

Post by Fixman » Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:19 pm

I get a front end, stiff up and down, (quick) movement that feels like the tire is out of balance, but I don't think it is a balance problem because I checked the static balance as best I could. It happens at different speeds, but usually above 45 mph, and it doesn't happen all the time. I have a feeling that the fork dampers and internals need to be rebuilt, but I don't really know if this stiffness is a sympton of a needed rebuild or not. It has Harley (green) fork oil in it, and I emptied some of it out at about 2 oz increments until I had let out 4 oz from each fork. Didn't seem to notice any difference, and I don't know how much oil is left since the bike was serviced before I bought it. It's a 57 Pan. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Kent

fourthgear

Re: Bouncy front end

Post by fourthgear » Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:19 pm

You will have to remove all the fluid now that you have taken some out and replace it with new @ proper amount just to make sure you didn't have a leak and one side might have been low or both . Check your wheel bearings too. You say it stiffens ? Are your vented caps clear and working properly?Tubes binding because of worn bushings? I know its a lot to think about but, you have to be a detective and eliminate what is not at fault.

Ding

Re: Bouncy front end

Post by Ding » Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:07 am

You might also want to check the tightness of your spokes. If a group are loose they may be causing the tire to bounce. No amount of balancing will make up for a rim that is out of true.

If you drain all the oil, and you don't have any of the other ailments...try adding 2oz extra worth of oil. I do this on my 83FLHPS and it really helps to get some of the dive and pogo out of a pretty much desperatly in need of rebuild front end.

Ding

Return to “Forks/Shocks”