Create your own blog: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17487

Extended forks

Information on forks/springers/shocks
OldHippie

Extended forks

Post by OldHippie » Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:02 am

Hey, folks, I have a question I'm sure one of you can knock off easy: I have extended forks on the '57 pan I just bought, about 12" over or so (I haven't actually measured them yet). The seller told me he thought the fork oil might be a bit light. Sure enough, these forks feel pretty soft.
Any recommendations on what weight of fork oil I should use to get a bit more firmness without losing what little suspension I have? Thanks in advance for any suggestions....

dj

Re: Extended forks

Post by dj » Tue Mar 08, 2005 4:21 pm

I'm no expert my any means, but if fork oil comes in different grades, you should try perhaps the mid-heavier choice. If it were me, I'd put shorter tubes on it.....provided it doesn't have a radical rake or something, but everybody has their own taste in fork lengths.
Is the bike running? Does it have a stock or custom frame? What size front wheel?

DJ

Billy

Post by Billy » Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:06 am

OldHippie, Fork oil comes in many grades.
Depending on brand. I would go with a 20 wt. & see how that feels. The heaviest is 30 wt.
20 wt. is an excellent grade for average conditions..
Sounds like a nice 57 !!!
Hope this helps..

OldHippie

Post by OldHippie » Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:51 am

Thanks for the advice, folks. Yes, it's running, and pretty well at that. That's why I know that the seller was right about the fork oil needing to be a bit 'stiffer'. I'll try the mid-weight oil and go from there.
I don't have dimensions handy because I don't have the bike in front of me. When I bought it, I had two options: ride it from Portland, OR to my home in Seattle, or to my mother-in-law's garage about thirty miles away. The latter won out, in part because of the forks (the ride felt unstable with the forks so soft) but mostly because the former owner had but a tiny little seat on it - and most of my ass was on the rear fender! I just received a good-looking solo seat (Le Pera) from J&P today, and I'm going to install it and try the ride home this coming weekend. (Everyone please think dry thoughts for me.)
The rake is not extreme, but is substantial - like that tells you a lot. The bottom of the frame is fairly level, so the forks seem to match the head rake pretty well (yes, it's raked at the head, not the triple tree). One of my first tasks when I pick it up this weekend will be to take all these essential measurements, so I can discuss it more intelligently....

mbskeam

Post by mbskeam » Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:07 pm

hello, oldhippie do you know about the vme meetings in george town.moved from teddys a few months ago.

V intage
M otorcycle
E nthusiasts

;D
mbskeam

57stroker

Post by 57stroker » Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:43 pm

I'm a cheap ass, so I run ATF in the kids dirt bikes and regular 'ol hydraulic oil in the Harleys. No problems yet.... I bought my '82 Sporty new and changed the fork oil every year and the seals didn't start leaking until the bike had over 60,000 miles on it. Keepin' the front tire electronically balanced probably didn't hurt either.

OldHippie

Post by OldHippie » Fri Mar 11, 2005 6:26 am

VME moved? Bummer, I live only a few miles from Teddy's. I was looking forward to "making the scene" next Wednesday with my pan - but Georgetown is a bit more of a trek on a weeknight (I have a young one at home).
I know the neighborhood around Teddy's has been "gentrifying" lately - did they kick out the VME gathering because it wasn't yuppie enough?

mbskeam

Post by mbskeam » Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:35 pm

hello, no the empty lot next door got sold for condos or somthing like that. that left no more parking. the same thing happend to taco thursday at alki. and the cops also kinda ran every body off. big empty PUBLIC PARKING LOT and bikes can not park there, but I still see cars pull in and park. so the yupps can go jog or what ever they do when they park there high end suv's that probably ran 3 or 4 bikes off the road so they could get there
>
mbskeam

Return to “Forks/Shocks”